Horsepower Estimate - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2019, 08:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

A good example of that was the video I posted

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 08:53 PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned deck height and head gasket thickness yet. I don't have the experience to explain it right but understand the basic concept and trust what these guys on here say. They talk about it in the product description on that link.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 10:22 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,160 Times in 2,650 Posts
You'll need rocker arm studs and guideplates if those haven't already been figured in, but that kit covers all the rest of the things for getting the head and intake on the engine. You'll need exhaust gaskets too, so maybe that offsets some of the header price since they include gaskets.

As far as traction, a low profile 18" tire like that is never going to hook, even if it was 4" wider it wouldn't matter. Tire compound is all wrong for traction, and it has no sidewall height to act as a shock absorber between the wheel and the tire face when the power hits.

A drag radial would help if there is one made for that size rim, but generally a good Mickey Thompson, Hoosier, M&H, or Nitto Drag Radial works best when they are 15" rim diameter with a taller sidewall.

How the rear suspension is set-up can help a lot...what have you done as far as suspension modifications??

It is going to help you going to a bigger head and intake, to kill off some of the too much low end torque you have from the TBI heads and trade it for upper rpm power....so that is a plus.

I've bought a couple sets of those Ebay headers, quality is very good, better than most current American manufacturers IMO.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 PM

Thanked 1,143 Times in 913 Posts
[YOUTUBE[/YOUTUBE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass92 View Post
It doesn’t have the throttle body unit on it anymore. It’s a carburetor now.

Well in that case if it has a carb then either somebody put on a carb intake, or modified the TBI intake with an adapter or machined a TBI intake to accept a carb so that it bolts to the TBI heads

There my be others but ProComp and Professional Products make an intake with an adapter on those center 4 bolts that depending on how you orient the adapter will fit to the older 90 degrees to the intake face of the head or the TBI head of 72 degrees to the intake face of the head. The 90 degree angle of bolt to machined intake face of the head is the production pattern from 1955 through 1986. It is also the common pattern used on aftermarket heads of which many aftermarket heads are also drilled and tapped for the so called Vortec pattern of 4 bolts per head at 45 degrees to the intake face of the head. The 72 degree 2 center bolts of the 6 bolt pattern on each head is not found outside of GM production for 1986 through 1995 for all TBI heads and most but not all TPI heads. There are some TPI heads that use the original 1955-1986 pattern (angle actually).

Of the intakes I mentioned that use the adapter my preference is the Professional Products Typhoon, it'll give an Edlebrock Performer RPM a damn good run. But if you go to aftermarket heads a very wide world is open to you.

Actually you can build a pretty decent LO5 motor with TBI heads a Typhoon intake and a 650 Edlebrock or Holley with a better cam like a Comp XE262H. The shorter ramps of the XE series and their competitors like the Lunati Voodoo help build cylinder pressure against today's compression ratio limits. Same goes if you're able to build the engine with a factory style roller cam, you want to get the ramps between .050 and whatever passes for zero as short as you can.

One of the beasts I built a few years ago is pretty much that formula. It is LO5 powered S10 with stock 191 heads, a Typhoon intake, a 650 Edlebrock Performer AFB carb, MSD ignition, short headers into a 3 inch exhaust. The guy in the other lane needs to be on the top of his game or he sees tail lights. It's a lot quicker than I ever thought it would be when that build got spec'ed, I really was opposed to the head selection but cash talks so I shut up and in the end really surprised.

Bogie

Last edited by BogiesAnnex1; 03-23-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:08 PM

Do you know how much power that S10 was making?
Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 PM

Havent done any suspension mods. All I know is it came from the factory with F41 suspension and has these very very thick front and rear sway bars from what I read it was Z28 suspension a upgraded more stiff suspension option you could’ve chosen back then
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 AM
More for Less Racer

F41 is Chevy's build code for performance suspension/handling package on any model, on the G-body Cutlass like you have it would be the same or nearly the same as what is on the same generation Monte Carlo SS.

Traction mods to the rear suspension consist of adjustable upper control arms, Anti-hop bars(or some other traction type bar set like Summit/Southside Machine lift bars, Lakewood Lift bars, UMI bars), tubular lower control arms, urethane suspension bushings, different rear springs, adjustable rear shocks or at least a good rear gas charged shock.

The stock rear arms and bushings are not very good at planting power.

I realize you may not want to change from the 18" wheels you have....the right rear suspension modifications can help even what you have a lot.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 AM

Well that’s something I’d have too look into on down the line after I get everything done to the engine and body. What do you think about bogies LO5 build.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Well that’s something I’d have too look into on down the line after I get everything done to the engine and body. What do you think about bogies LO5 build.
It is what you have currently.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:17 AM

Yea now that I re read what he wrote it is pretty much the same except two different cars he has a better intake and carb. I’d say I’m pretty much maxed out. Without the heads.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:19 AM

U still got the s10 bogie?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 AM

Thanked 1,143 Times in 913 Posts
Quote:
Do you know how much power that S10 was making?
That engine was never dyno'ed but the truck made a couple, three quarter mile runs so using the et and weight calculator that says about 280 hp. Torque was its big advantage it pulled real hard out of the hole, you shift about 4700 as it runs out power gains on the top end just levels off doesn't fall away. It is a lot quicker on carburetor than factory EFI with that cam which tells you the head and cam flow better than the TBI with custom PROM. The head is more responsive to duration than lift changes not that improving on the factory not quite .4 inch doesn't help but expecting gains at .5 inch is useless. 1.6 rockers on the intake help kick the lift rate faster as well as more total but faster is the issue to aim on, so they are useful on a more moderate cam as that lets it breath more mixture sooner in the lift curve which is helpful on these ports, so is back cutting the intake as this improves low lift flow. Those heads are certainly not race items but really aren't too trashy for day to day use and they do respond to tricks that improve low lift flow. But they do quit on the top end and there isn't really anything that can improve that much.

Bogie
Old 03-24-2019, 11:55 AM

Gotcha. It’s the same with my car it’s got loads of torque and the take off is very strong but that top end is what kills it.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Eric what would be a good size tire to get with those drag radials
Old 03-24-2019, 02:16 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Eric what would be a good size tire to get with those drag radials
What rim size do you have or are you planning to use second set of rear rims with a Drag Radial??

Is this going to have to deal with wet weather?? (Some of the Drag Radials have a very minimal tread groove pattern).

Tire wear...is this a daily driver and you expect some reasonable tire wear life?? Some of the drag radials driven daily will be lucky to last 2500 miles....and that's if you rarely really hit them hard or burnout with them.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in