How to buy a car off EBay or a internet site. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to buy a car off EBay or a internet site.

Do to mechanical failure I totaled a beautiful 46 Ford. I really liked that car but after going though most of the steps of grief. I am ready to replace her. Have any of you bought a car from across the country or out of the area you can travel? Maybe a site such as ebay? I can not fly to every city I see a car in. How did you protect yourself? How did you contract some one to check the car out and tell you any issue? You know, kind of like a home inspector.

Thank you for any ideas you might have.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Wiki Edits: 9

Google Car Inspectors, here's one site

https://www.cars-on-line.com/insp-1stpg.html

Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68NovaSS For This Useful Post:
Getsome2 (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 PM

Thank you very much for the information. Figured there was a way to remove some risk. Just did not know where to look.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 PM

buying car sight unseen

I don't know about ebay but I bought my car through an ad in Hemmings back in 2001. the owner was in NY but he kept the car in a museum in Kentucky and I only was given a few pictures and going on that, bought the car sight unseen. It was probably the scariest thing I have ever done and biggest risk I have ever had. find out all the information you can and go see the car if possible...I got extremely lucky.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremy bilbrey For This Useful Post:
Getsome2 (11-25-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,809 Posts
I've asked members of other forums to look at a vehicle for me, that were local to it. Saved me a huge headache a number of times. I've been burned on ebay cars enough, that I don't even look on there anymore. I stick to a nationwide search of Craigslist and some other classic car sales websites. Once I find something I'm seriously interested in, I will email the seller and ask for very specific pics of certain areas of the vehicle. If they aren't interested in complying, I move along. After a few positive exchanges, and I like what I see, I give the seller my phone number and ask that they call to work out any purchase agreements live and go from there to arrange shipment or pick up. I usually offer a 10% down payment thru postal money orders, or pay pal and then bring the rest in cash at time of pickup. I have come home empty handed 3 times, as the vehicles were not described accurately and the pics were very selectively taken. Eyes on, by an inspection business, or forum buddy, or in person is the ONLY way I part with a full settlement anymore....unless the price is too good to pass up and I know the car is in worse condition than initially presented. Oh, and make absolutely certain it has a clear, transferable title before any further discussion.
Where I live, getting a clean title from a bill-of-sale can be very difficult
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
Getsome2 (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 08:20 PM

here's a site I found:

https://www.classiccarsarena.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to MGK For This Useful Post:
Getsome2 (12-07-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:11 AM
RedLine Stage 4 ZL1 650rwhp

I guess I'm the exception, I've bought 17 or 18 Performance Vehicles on eBay and have never once been screwed or received something I wasn't totally satisfied with. I've also sold each and everyone of those vehicles (plus many more) on eBay and again have never once had an issue.

Here's the deal with eBay...

*NEVER (and I mean NEVER) do you buy or sell from or to anyone with no history "OR" that doesnt have 100% feedback (98% - 100% is my limit)

*Always look for "Long Time Members"

*If your buying from a private seller (which I prefer) and they don't have answers to your questions or don't seem to know about the vehicle, RUN AWAY FAST

*For that matter if the seller just seems sketchy and your not comfortable with them, RUN AWAY FAST...

*MOST IMPORTANT - If you see the car your after always look for....
Shop with confidence
Vehicle Purchase Protection
Covers up to $100,000 when your transaction is completed through eBay. Restrictions apply.

I live on the end of Long Island NY and have bought many vehicles from California, Washington State, Arizona, and many other far away States.
I only use a reputable carrier and it does pay to get the quote straight through the eBay ad because it all becomes part of the transaction with a paper trail.

and finally ....
If your still not comfortable or plan to finance some of the money for the purchase there is a HUGE advantage using J.J Best Bank
You find a vehicle on eBay, CALL and talk to seller, make your deal, and tell him your financing it. Then you simply call or eMail JJ Bank and in a few short days they go and inspect the vehicle and make sure it is what they say it is.
You fill out some papers, they send you the check, you send it to the seller, he gets his money, and you set up a carrier to pick up the vehicle... JJ Bank is the oldest and largest Classic / Muscle Car Loaner and they do this for a living, I've used them on numerous vehicles and it's quick, easy, and fairly simple. Then when I sell the car I currently had I simply pay the loan off with no penalties and get a release of lean.

Done right you are 100% protected and can't get screwed
*Buy from a Long Time Member, *98 - 100 % feedback, *eBay Guarantee

I should add maybe I've been so lucky because I am extremely anal about buying vehicles. I ask a million questions, ask for a ton of specific pictures, and only when I'm 100% comfortable with the seller and vehicle do I finish the transaction.

PS
*Oh ya ALWAYS DO THE TRANSACTION THROUGH eBAY
Some sellers will ask you to NOT go through ebay so they dont have to pay them the commision on the sale, DON'T DO IT. Always do everything through eBay or you are not protected
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProStreetRob For This Useful Post:
Getsome2 (12-08-2019), John long (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Prostreetrob

Good stuff, Thank you very much. Currently looking at a car on the Facebook Market Place 800 miles away from me. Have made some bids on EBAY but has not worked out yet. Looking to pay with cash though a bank wire.

Last edited by Getsome2; 12-08-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome2 View Post
Good stuff, Thank you very much. Currently looking at a car on the Facebook Market Place 800 miles away from me. Have made some bids on EBAY but has not worked out yet. Looking to pay with cash though a bank wire.
Be very careful with wiring money. If it's a scam, the money is gone.

Shop with confidence
Vehicle Purchase Protection
Covers up to $100,000 when your transaction is completed through eBay. Restrictions apply

this has always been a loser statement for me. The seller and ebay can find dozens of reasons why the seller wouldn't know the car was a turd and deny coverage or demanding the seller to refund your money.
REMEMBER, the SELLER is the source of ebays profits and they will ALWAYS defend the source of their income. My cc company managed to get my money back from 2 sellers who deliberately deceived me on condition, but ebay has NEVER helped me attempt to recover funds.

ProStreetRob, from my experience, you are a very lucky person.. Are you buying lottery tickets..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
Getsome2 (12-08-2019), John long (12-08-2019)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in