how to chop convertible top on 1950 ford convertible - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2015, 02:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

how to chop convertible top on 1950 ford convertible

I was wondering how to chop my convertible top on my 1950 ford convertible. I have some ideas but I I'm not that sure. Is it possible someone knows how and can give me advise. thanks jerry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,026 Times in 4,449 Posts
Do you plan on chopping the convertible top frame so it will still fold? I have to say, that is asking a LOT. I have never done one, but have chopped a number of tops and have worked with top irons and the complexity of those top irons are pretty high. To change them in any way would be one hell of a feat if you ask me.

To lower the whole thing down, now that's possible. But how it would fold, not so sure.

I would love to see how this could be done my self. Hope someone responds with some good info as I am curious as hell.

Brian
Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

carson top ?

Most of the ones I've seen chopped had a lift off carson top. but here's one with a rag top. The one around here came from Calif and after a cold winter Duke put a metal top on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Ht_9N2SpE

I bought My 28 A roadster from my brother who bought it from his brother-in-law and has 2 in chopped windshield posts and I was told a 32 top frame, No upholstery just the frame and I have never folded it to see how it works.

Last edited by timothale; 03-27-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:48 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,796 Times in 1,280 Posts
I would almost think that the first thing to do would be to shorten the windshield to the height you wanted. Then lower the rear to match the windshield. Then shorten the length of the top to fit the windshield header. Next would be to shorten the pivoting arms.

Or get Bill Hines to do it for you. He did the one below.

BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x1.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	212826  
Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,321 Times in 4,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
I would almost think that the first thing to do would be to shorten the windshield to the height you wanted. Then lower the rear to match the windshield. Then shorten the length of the top to fit the windshield header. Next would be to shorten the pivoting arms.

Or get Bill Hines to do it for you. He did the one below.

BB
You are close to right BB but when he chops the windshield it will move forward and he will have to lengthen the front section of top irons. With luck, maybe he could move the main mounting point of the top irons forward and down a like amount and keep that to a minimum but I doubt it. The flat area that runs from the rear of the door glass to the windshield frame will end up longer. If you move the mouning point forward, you will end up with the curved portion of the irons running past the door glass and that will create problems. I am sure it can be done but it will take some fooling around with it.

The good thing about a Ford is it is all flat glass.

It would be a fun project.

John
Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,796 Times in 1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You are close to right BB but when he chops the windshield it will move forward and he will have to lengthen the front section of top irons. With luck, maybe he could move the main mounting point of the top irons forward and down a like amount and keep that to a minimum but I doubt it. The flat area that runs from the rear of the door glass to the windshield frame will end up longer. If you move the mouning point forward, you will end up with the curved portion of the irons running past the door glass and that will create problems. I am sure it can be done but it will take some fooling around with it.

The good thing about a Ford is it is all flat glass.

It would be a fun project.

John
Duuuuh, Ray Charles could of seen that!

BB
Old 03-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,026 Times in 4,449 Posts
This is a little hint into the world of chopping a convertible top. Moving these points moves the top irons feet away, up or down or forward or back. These are just a few of the many adjustments in the system. And that 50 Ford top is pretty much exactly like this, at least that is what I was told, that these tops are all pretty similar from the late forties up across all makes and models.

These photos represent just few of the adjustments on these tops that make it fit the windows and of all things the cloth top. Why would you need to make it fit the cloth top when the cloth top can be cut anyway you want you ask? Well the top needs to fold a certain way with the irons, it is all a matched pair like I never would have thought before doing this project. I thought it was complicated, but not as much as before I delve into that baby. Without the help of Dan on the upholstery forum here on Hotrodders and others I would have gave up after ruining the new top and went to a pro.

So my regular old hot rod skills would tell me that if you shortened all the braces equally to lower the top it would all work fine, NOPE after you think about it a bit more, they are all going at different angles which means the amount cut could change the radians! So to calculate how much to cut each one in relation to the angle would be needed. This is all past my "yo yo" (what a machinist friend of mine calls a tape measure) limited skills.

Like I said, I am damn curious as to how the hell you could pull this off. Obviously it's possible, so how do they do it?

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-29-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in