Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How do I address Rust?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 11:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I repair autobody rust for a living. Holes must be cut out and new metal welded in for a lasting fix along with any areas that are so thin that they are soft. I do not sandblast sheetmetal because it hardens it too much making it easier to crack in any stressful areas, also it can take more good metal off in the surrounding area, weakening it. The sand doesn't care if its rust or not. A much better proven way is to wirebrush or wirewheel the areato remove loose rust, blow or wipe it off and sray or brush a layer of Rust Destoyer on it (http://www.rust007.com/html/body_rust_destroyer.htm), let it dry for a few days, sand it down and putty & paint it. It kills the rust and acts as a primer for almost any paint. I've done cars with this stuff 12 yrs ago that still have not returned any rust bubbling so I know it works better than its 5yr warrantee. It rains here alot too, not a single come-back on any of my rust repair.