Hot Rod Forum banner

How do I replace strut rod bushings??

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  wedge124 
#1 ·
I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvadear II with the torsion bar suspension. The strut rod bushing on the driver's side has cracked up and fallen off the car. I would like to replace this but I am not sure how to do it. This is different than most other cars I have worked on. The front of the strut rod looks normal but the back part of the rod disappears into the lower cotrol arm. It appears that it may thread into this some way. Not sure. Can anyone walk me thru the procedure. Plymouth suspension was the same from 1963 to 1969 acording to my Motor's manual which gives no description on how to do this.

#2 ·
I took a look in my 1970 Motors manual. It has an exploded diagram of the suspension of your car. Mine covers 65-71, all the same except Imperial. The strut rod is threaded on the control arm end. Look on the opposite side of the cotnrol arm for a nut. If the bracket at the front of the strut rod comes off, or the crossmember up there comes off, it will be a simple job. If not looks like the lower control arm has to come off, and that could be quite a job! The torsion bar will have to be removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.