Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to fix cloudiness in clear coat?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to fix cloudiness in clear coat?

Well at least it was only the hood.....

Here is the story. I'm gearing up to do an all-over on my Firebird with Glasurit base and SPI clear. The Iwata LPH400LV is new to me, and the hood on my Suburban needed paint, so I decided to get a little practice in.

I sanded the hood to metal and coated it in SPI black epoxy, then I sprayed a few coats of PPG shopline base. This Suburban is a beater rig, so I cheaped out on the base. The base went on pretty nice, then I sprayed 3 coats of SPI universal clear. I think I did several things wrong......gun pressure too low (like 15 at the reg on the gun), laid the clear on too thick, and not enough time between coats. The time was just a few minutes, but it was hot and felt like once I finished one coat it was almost ready for another.
Anyway long story short I had sags, runs, peel, you name it. I decided to sand it down and start over. I sanded out all the defects with 320, then smoothed it out with 600.
I hit this site and did a search and found the gun settings Barry recommended for my gun, then I sprayed 2 more coats of clear and it looked great. Very smooth, no runs or sags. I was real happy with it, but by the time I finished it was 8:30 in the evening and very humid. The next day when I got home I couldn't wait to look at the hood. Went out to the shop and couldn't believe it. Almost the entire top of the hood was cloudy, but the front still looked great. It almost looked like it had rained on the hood or something. I guess I made a big mistake when I left it outside overnight, but I wanted it to be in the sun the next day.

Anyway, do you guys think leaving it out is what caused the cloudiness? Do I need to sand down to the base, then re-base and clear to fix it? Should I even go as far as to sand down, seal with epoxy, then just start over?

I really want to make sure I don't make this mistake again. Next time I'll spray it in the shop and leave it there until I feel like it's safe.
Also, I want to get this repaired and painted correctly before I start on the Firebird. The Glasurit paint was pretty $$$ and I really don't want to screw up with it. Any advice etc is appreciated. I'm pretty new to this and have learned a lot from you guys already.