How to fix cloudiness in clear coat? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to fix cloudiness in clear coat?

Well at least it was only the hood.....

Here is the story. I'm gearing up to do an all-over on my Firebird with Glasurit base and SPI clear. The Iwata LPH400LV is new to me, and the hood on my Suburban needed paint, so I decided to get a little practice in.

I sanded the hood to metal and coated it in SPI black epoxy, then I sprayed a few coats of PPG shopline base. This Suburban is a beater rig, so I cheaped out on the base. The base went on pretty nice, then I sprayed 3 coats of SPI universal clear. I think I did several things wrong......gun pressure too low (like 15 at the reg on the gun), laid the clear on too thick, and not enough time between coats. The time was just a few minutes, but it was hot and felt like once I finished one coat it was almost ready for another.
Anyway long story short I had sags, runs, peel, you name it. I decided to sand it down and start over. I sanded out all the defects with 320, then smoothed it out with 600.
I hit this site and did a search and found the gun settings Barry recommended for my gun, then I sprayed 2 more coats of clear and it looked great. Very smooth, no runs or sags. I was real happy with it, but by the time I finished it was 8:30 in the evening and very humid. The next day when I got home I couldn't wait to look at the hood. Went out to the shop and couldn't believe it. Almost the entire top of the hood was cloudy, but the front still looked great. It almost looked like it had rained on the hood or something. I guess I made a big mistake when I left it outside overnight, but I wanted it to be in the sun the next day.

Anyway, do you guys think leaving it out is what caused the cloudiness? Do I need to sand down to the base, then re-base and clear to fix it? Should I even go as far as to sand down, seal with epoxy, then just start over?

I really want to make sure I don't make this mistake again. Next time I'll spray it in the shop and leave it there until I feel like it's safe.
Also, I want to get this repaired and painted correctly before I start on the Firebird. The Glasurit paint was pretty $$$ and I really don't want to screw up with it. Any advice etc is appreciated. I'm pretty new to this and have learned a lot from you guys already.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 03:21 PM

I think you are OK.

One of two things happened, either the fresh clear drew solvents left in the first set of clear and just needs a buffing. (To prevent something like this, put car in sun after sanding a few hours before clearing.)

Second thing that can happen depending on a lot of factors, I have seen clear pulled out at night like this, suck humidity, rare but it does happen and everything has to be just right to do it.

If it was mine, I would wet-sand the hood with 1500 and leave in sun one full day, buff after it cools to room temp or next day, either problem that will draw out the moisture or solvents, whatever the case may be and make the buffing easier.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Thanks Barry. I've sanded it and will let it sit in the sun and see how it goes. I really appreciate your willingness to help all us newbies.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM

The same thing happened to me once, when the freshly painted
car was pulled outside for the night. The cloudiness disappeared
after sitting in the sun the next day. In my case, it was high humidity
or dew falling on the paint that caused it to cloud.

Hopefully yours is OK after 'baking'.....
Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 PM

you got all the answers you needed. The drop in temp caused the clear to pull in moisture, this is a problem with dark colors( my bet is your hood is black) wet sand and buff is all thats required. I'm really surprised you didn't have issues with solvent pop. This occurs when you apply to many coats to quickly and the solvents attempt to evaporate out through the clear, creating little pin holes on the flat surfaces.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM
body and paint guy

Last journal entry: delivered

maybe a little late but, in case this helps anyone. I have had this happen to me when I spray in my shop. when useing a reducer that is to fast (kinda tough when its 100 degrees outside) and don't crack the door enough to get the overspray out, it settles on the top surfaces only making it appear cloudy. ethier way the old buffer will do the trick. hope this might help someone in the future

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in