Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How to inspect 4L80e pump and TC for damage?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to inspect 4L80e pump and TC for damage?

Because I have the brain of a hamster, I installed my rebuilt 4L80e and triple clutch billet-backed TC along with a pilot bushing that came with my engine adapter kit that was labeled as "mandatory."

Long-story-short I got all the bellhousing bolts hand-tight, then heard "POP....... POP". The flexplate and TC were unable to turn. I disassembled everything and found that the pilot bushing had separated into two halves,... I attributed the popping sound this this. However, it could have been the bushing AND the trans pump I suppose.

I'm not extremely experienced with the 4L80e (obviously), can anyone tell me what to look for to determine if my pump is toast? If I need to remove the pump to be able to see the damage, is it as simple as unbolting it, pulling it out, unbolting the two halves, inspecting, reassembly and torquing the pump back down? Or is there some precision that goes into reinstalling the pump like setting depth?

Also, would the amateur move described above also potentially damage the torque converter? Such as if the trans shaft got pushed in too deep? How would I confirm that it is fine?

Thank you in advance!