How to pancake a hood - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2004, 10:34 PM

Last journal entry: Dash mods
Wiki Edits: 0

How to pancake a hood

I am working on a 54 chevy truck and was considering pancacking the hood has anyone here done this or know of a web site that shows how this is done, Ive heard that a pie cut is taken out and sounds fairly straight foward but I sure would like to hear from someone that has done this before I start cutting and welding. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Im trying to have an idea!

pancake the hood? i do not know much about body work, could you elaborate a bit
Old 06-29-2004, 10:17 AM

this is a procecces as I understand of cutting a pie shaped piece of metal out of the hood to lower or "pancake" the hood. I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the procedure. Thanks

Old 06-29-2004, 01:13 PM

try this site . http://www.vintagecustom.com/fabrica...eetmetal1.html
Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the help whizzer, looks pretty straight foward

Cut, weld, grind, sleep and repeat

Thanks Again
Old 02-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Hey Roadsire,

Have you attempted the pie cut yet?? I have a 48 Chevy truck and at the point where i am "thinking" about the hood chop. I have tried to find out some info before the cutting begins but did not have much luck. It would be great to find somebody that has already done this and get some heads up.

I have seen some pics of the chop but not much detail?

Bg
Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Wiki Edits: 2

Well I pie cut the hood on a 39 chev, which isn't that much different than your P/U other than first making the 39 hood into a one piece hood,,
Mark out the angle you want to cut,,keeping the cuts as straight as possible,,,masking tape works great for laying it out,, 2 " is probably the most you can cut with out making a bunch of filler pieces,, keep the cut down as low on the sides as possible,, where the area is as vertical as possibler,, after cutting the wedge out,, drop the top section down to the bottom section, it is not going to match up,,so you will have to make some relief cuts in the top piece to bring it out to meet the bottom section, be sure the rear edges are even and tack weld those together on both sides, then start in front center with some relief cuts that will allow the top side to be joined with the bottom section, work your way around equally on both sides, [ Tack weld a small section on the right side and then tack weld the left the same way ,, working your way around the hood,, there will be wedge shaped gaps between the relief cuts, that you will have to make pieces for,, DO NOT try to weld solid all at one time, you will warp the hood for sure,, Just a spot tack,, best done with a tig welder,, but ok with a mig,, just harder to grind and hammer weld, keep the gaps as tight as possible,, trying to fill a gap with a weld will create too much heat and warp the metal..Might be a good Idea to find old hood and practice on first,, then you will know if you want to tackle this job or not,,,, the rear of the upper part will need some work to make it fit the cowl right ,, because it is going to be leaning forward a little,,

Does this make sense EDIT,,, If you enlarge the 2nd picture,,[ click on the cross on the bottom right] you can see where the cut was made at the back close to the cowl right above the body line,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2922.JPG
Views:	770
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	18845   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2958.JPG
Views:	965
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	18846  

Last edited by Bad Rat; 02-26-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Last journal entry: rear end detail

I had to pie cut the radius to line up top chop on my sedan . I just ran a cut off wheel up over area that didnt quite line up . Just cut the area that is out to far and bring it in to match other edge. first pic is of right side hard to tell but the panel overlaps lower body by about 1/8 inch . Second pic shows pie cut on left side. Third you can see left and right in the cornors . here they went up about 5 inches .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0186.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	18848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	18849   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0195.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	18850  

Last edited by bluestang67; 02-26-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

Two things you might consider when doing this that I have not seen addressed; If you take a pie cut out of the hood the upper section does not match up when dropped onto the lower section because of the contours of the original part. You could stretch the edge of the upper section to create more surface area so that it will grow out to meet the lower part. Not as hard as it sounds. Labor intensive though. A ballpeen hammer and a shot dolly would do the stretching. A hammer and dolly to smooth. It would take multiple stretch and smooth sessions to gradually bring it out and get the contours right. The upside of this is less welding and if done correctly a very nice bit of metal work.

Another way to get a lower crown in your hood is to do dozens of shrinking sessions with a shrinking disc on the crown of the hood. It would take a long time, and lot of noisy work to see any change, but for a subtle look, it would be good way to go with no welding. I have shrunk large panels down this way. It takes more time than skill.

John

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in