How To: Tubing Bender - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 10:17 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by web01_99
First I never intended for what I said to be meant negative. TM has been doing a excellent job at what he does for his age.

For me having been in TM's shoes when I was his age and starting out in the fabrication world I too made some of my equipment. Now about 15 years later I cant have the down time while I have a job to stop and make things when I can order it and in a couple of days I can have it. Any new tooling I buy I figure in advance how many jobs at xxx price its going to take to pay for it then I own it.
Twisted Mini you are too young to realize this is golden advice.

While I appreciate the post and the work you are doing - you don't yet realize that your free time is worth as much as one gets paid on the job - actually your free time should be worth more IMHO

I went online and without shopping prices can get a Gen III Speedway bender with ram and 1-5/8 die for $399.00 with additional dies at 149.00 ea.

So @ $350.00 out of pocket expenses plus an admitted $100.00+ dollars worth of machining work you did for free at school plus the time spent building the bender; I'd say if you spent more than 2-4 hours total labor there is no way it's "cheaper" than buying a Speedway bender and web01_99 is spot on with his advice!

PLEASE don't take my post wrong I applaud the work you did - it looks top notch and of very good quality - but don't mislead yourself or others that this can be done cheaper than a company who does things on an economy of scale you cannot compete with.

Also someone as young as yourself shouldn't be be too quick to criticize us older folks with a lot more experience that value our working/free time equally and presumably have much more responsibilities than someone who is 18 years old ~like working or running a business full time, raising kids, and pay a mortgage and still find time to build cars.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck

I am not criticizing anyone. I am just saying, that at this point in time it makes sense to me to spend a few hours here and there after work and school building something like this. I work full time, and go to college full time, I pay for car and health insurance, cell phone, internet, food, clothes, and 1/3 of the mortgage because it has gone up so much my mother cannot afford it on her own. I also enjoy fabrication, and have pride in making my own tools. Maybe someday I will just buy what I need or want, but at this point I can't really afford it.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 PM

I know exactly what you are saying and I was in the same situation some years ago, well a lot of years ago When I was 18 I started working for a welding outfit and I soon thought "hey why should I do ALL the work for only a little of the money"? Broke as I was I managed to buy an old Ford service truck and an even older Lincoln welder which left me with little to no money for tools so I built everything I could including a fairly crude looking boring mill to align bore on the equipment I was working on. My rig was old and a lot of it was home made and I got laughed at more than once but even though it looked crude I did a pretty good job on it and it worked really good so in a couple of years I was doing the laughing! I am retired now but I still enjoy building anything I can and I just finished building a Hydrostatic drive lawn tractor that I think looks darn good, it works great. If I figured the money I have in it plus any labor at all there is little doubt that I could have just bought one probably cheaper but the point of this story is that sometimes there just is more to it than money. You did an impressive job on that thing and my hat is off to you

Old 06-30-2007, 11:34 PM

Yes you may be able to buy a bender for as cheap as you can build it but I would have to agree with tm.
I can see if you own a shop how you would not have the time to build one and time is money.
Not everyone has the money up front to go out and buy what they want. If I did I would own a hemi dart.
I thought that is what this site was about. To help people out in whatever they are doing.
Why even build anything. Why not just pay someone else to do it. Time is money and I could be out making money in my trade and have someone build a car for me or whatever I want but there is no pride in that.
When posts like this are made to criticize what people have done or try to help out is why people don't want to post or help others because there help is made to look foolish by others.
This thread has gone way south.
Again thanks for the info on building a bender TM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Wiki Edits: 161

Twisted Minis- Killer job on that bender

I own my own fabrication shop. I still get far more satisfaction in building my own tools, and using them to ply my trade than I do in buying them. I built my first bender, a copy of a hossfeld # 2 and then built my own dies for it. It served me well for several years until I happened upon a good deal on a real Hossfeld#1 with a small stack of dies.. When I get a bit of time, I already know how I am going to modify it for power operation.

My homemade #1 is at my friends shop, serving him well now.

Building your own tools and tooling not only is more satisfying, but it gives you an understanding of how those tools and equipment actually work. I never knew just why tube bending dies were not perfectly round in the channel until I made one round and it didn't work.

One more thing to consider.

When money has no value anymore, the talent required to build the tools will be priceless.

I guess if you are in it for the money, then that's ok too.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 07-01-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM

I heard of someone that made a bender patterned after the JD squared bender with modified HF dies. I have a JD squared with homemade hydraulics. I agree about home made tools. I've made a lot of them.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Nice job - I guess my shop class was arresting our development after looking at your accomplishments.

Dave
Old 07-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Dang, I should have a gig like that... $432 in a month (looks like he's sold 24 in the past month) to do nothing more than I do posting a message after having done what I do every day as an engineer... I could actually afford an occasional gallon of paint!

Anyone got any other tools they need DIY plans for?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Instagram: partsretriever

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Wiki Edits: 7

If I could build a bender for as little as he did, I would too- especially considering the work done at class.

If I needed to outsource some work (the machining) then it probably would be better to just buy one.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 PM
A different breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Nice job - I guess my shop class was arresting our development after looking at your accomplishments.

Dave
What?

The machine shop at the JC has since been shut down. I know have to means to use a mill.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 PM

i dont know if you posted any pictures or not because i cant see them if you did. IF you did could you supply a link or tell me how i could see them. Thanks for all the info too. im definatly going to try it out, i just want to see what it looks like as a finished project first

brandon
Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 PM
A different breed

I had a problem with my picture host, but they are now hosted on this site. I can't edit the original post, so here is the write-up again.

If most of you are like me, the cost of a tubing bender makes you cringe. $1000 plus once you have a die or two, and its still manual. Well theres a way around the big cost. I spent under $350 building mine, and its completely hydraulic.
Plans can be had from this eBay seller.
The best prices on the dies needed for this bender can be found at Rock Buggy Supply. The guy is great to deal with, and very fast to ship.
The air over hydraulic ram can be had at Harbor Freight for $60 with tax if you catch them on sale and use one of the coupons.
8 Ton Ram
Harbor Freight Coupons

Now onto the bender itself. Some stuff needs to be machined. It could be done on a drill press if you're patient. I did mine on the mill at school, and it took me 3 class periods. So it could be done on a weekend easily. I was told it would be roughly $100 to have it done at a machine shop.
*If anyone plans to use a 1" or smaller die, with a CLR smaller than 3.5" let me know. I have some revisions for the die puller arms to make it fit. The plans will not work well with the smaller dies, as I found out the hard way. Email to [email protected] as "Bender Revision"
To start, I clamped together the die puller arms, and aligned them with bolts and tubing prior to welding the support in place.

I beveled the edges and slowly welded the pieces together to keep warpage down.

Once it was cool to the touch I pulled everything apart.

A word of caution, the edges of cold rolled flat stock are razor sharp. I'm currently bleeding profusely.
Next, put together the base of the frame, which looks like an I. Square it up and weld it. Try to keep it from warping as best you can. Think about where you weld first.

Align the uprights with tubing, and clamp together.

Ad the braces towards the back (make sure they don't hit the ram) and then weld everything.
The next step is to align the tabs that the die, and die puller rotate on. I bolted everything together, and stuck the die puller arm on a jack to easily adjust the height.

I put a piece of tubing in the die, and adjusted the arm/tab placement until the tube was level.

The measurements in the plans are a bit off, so you need to fine tune it yourself.
Now you're pretty much done. Add the two front legs for balance, and add some swivel casters to make it easy to move (this thing is heavy by now).

Throw some paint on it and slap it together, top off the ram (I was surprised to find out it comes with fluid). ATF works great, and is easily available. You'll need a half quart to top it off.

Now give it a shot. One stroke gets almost a full 90 degree bend. Re-index the die and you can do much more.

I went ahead and tried a 180 just for ****s and giggles. Turned out quite smooth.

It has no problem bending 3/16" wall tubing.
Any questions, let me know. [email protected]
Now you can go toss your Harbor Freight pipe bender, and use the jack in it to build a press.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 PM

bender

You did a great job building it. The dies look like alot like JD squared.
Perri
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 PM

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally

Very friggin cool Twisted, love your work.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM

quick quetion.

Ok my teacher wants 2 build this bender. where would we find the dies that you used?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in