How well do 'polished' aluminum wheels hold up? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How well do 'polished' aluminum wheels hold up?

I'm looking for a new set of wheels for my 2005 Dodge ram 1500 4x4. I will be paying off the loan in 4 months, so I want to make it look a bit better.

It has what initially appeared to be chrome rims on it, but under closer inspection, they are actually black steel 5 spoke wheels, with thin chrome covers over the black wheels, which closely fit the 5 wide spokes. From a distance you cant tell, but if you look closely, you can.

So, I'm looking around and I discover that there are now about 52,000,000 different companies that make aftermarket rims these days, instead of the 6 or so that used to be most available. Unfortunately, about 90%-95% of the 632,724,186,037 different rims that are available these days are either slightly ugly to hideous......

Thats because unlike the 50's, 60,s, 70,s, and 80,s when rims were made for Hot Rodders, many of today's rims are made for the younger class of wanna-be gangsters of all races who put them on even the cheesiest cars and then lower the cars to 1" off the ground, destroying its handling ability, or they take a full sized car from the 70's and 80's and raise it 3 feet off the ground and put on huge diameter tires and rims, combined with ribbon thin profile tires which might improve cornering a bit, but also dont absorb road bumps like taller tires do.

So anyway, that should be a different thread(^)... What I dont want is to raise my 4x4 truck way up into the air, and put huge tires on it. Its a work truck and my main transport, and it get bad enough mileage already, so I dont want to make it worse. I just want the factory sized 17" rims and 70 series tires, so one of the rims that I like are the Eagle Alloys Model 197, 8 spoke rims in chrome, but they are like $289 apiece for 17" rims.

But then, while on Summit's website, I found some other aluminum rims that are similar. They are called Pro-Comp Extreme Alloys series 1089. They are only about $139 apiece, and they are 6 spoke instead of 8 spoke, but they do look very similar. One difference is that they are polished instead of chrome plated, but in the picture of them they look almost as shiny as the chrome plated Eagle Alloys 197's. Apparently, I can also get the Eagle Alloys 197's in either polished, or black and polished for about $180 apiece or so, but I dont like the black so much. There is another model made by Eagle Alloys that I like, but they are like $330 apiece!

So anyway, how much less shiny are the polished aluminum rims versus the chromed aluminum rims, and how long and how well do the polished aluminum rims hold their shine and polish?

Also, how do you post a picture here?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Last journal entry: Accessories can drive you mad

Procomp=Made in China. When it comes to wheels, you really get what you pay for. These wheels may be heavy or difficult to balance. Who knows? As far as polished aluminum wheels they hold up for months in the garage but only weeks out in the elements. Cat/dog piss really eats them up. I have 4 Alumastars get hosed and it was a major task fixing them. You are much better off getting something clear coated although it will NOT be as shiny as freshly polished aluminum, it will be much easier to keep clean.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Camaro
Procomp=Made in China. When it comes to wheels, you really get what you pay for. These wheels may be heavy or difficult to balance. Who knows? As far as polished aluminum wheels they hold up for months in the garage but only weeks out in the elements. Cat/dog piss really eats them up. I have 4 Alumastars get hosed and it was a major task fixing them. You are much better off getting something clear coated although it will NOT be as shiny as freshly polished aluminum, it will be much easier to keep clean.

How well do decent quality chromed aluminum wheels hold up over time? Does the chrome flake off like you used to see on Cragar S/S's? Are they 'better' than polished aluminum wheels, and do they require and special maintenance?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone
How well do decent quality chromed aluminum wheels hold up over time? Does the chrome flake off like you used to see on Cragar S/S's? Are they 'better' than polished aluminum wheels, and do they require and special maintenance?
Yes they will flake off sooner or later depends on how you care for them i guess. But the polished wheels are just fine inside or out all you have to do is hit them every so often with some polish and it will keep them looking good.JMO Just alittle polish along with some elbow grease and they stay looking good or for me they do anyway. I have a set of the chromed aluminum on my truck and weld's on my camaro and myself i would rather do some polishing every so often then to have them flake off on me. JMO

Cole

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in