Howdy from Central Oklahoma - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2017, 08:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Howdy from Central Oklahoma

Hello Hotrodders, thought I would finally join this forum. I have learned a lot from reading here over the course of an engine building project I was working on on my S10.

The engine is a Gen 1 350 block, given to me by a friend when my 4.3 (L35) broke down. I decided it would be more fun to build something new than to do a stock replacement. Project involved a general restore of the front end suspension, PCM reprogramming (via mail), and building up the top end of the engine to run as a fuel injected Vortec. Bottom end was in good shape and had been running previously. I went with the Comp XE262 cam and had minor work done to the heads to use guide plates and accept larger springs. Future work might include an intake upgrade - the stock handles well at low to mid RPMs but does seem like it could use more air once it hits 4500.

At this point I'm almost completely done with the project, but have discovered my heads aren't sealing properly, so that's going to have to be redone. I'm using a steel shim gasket because the pistons are pretty far down in the hole, and may have not done a great job getting them installed the first time. You live and you learn! This has been my first engine build.

Other than the S10, I have a 95 V6 Camaro and a new Subaru with even less power. I like to learn about engines and do my own work in general, hence why I've spent so much time here. See you all around!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 09:00 AM

Central OK

Welcome to the site. You're rebuilding a Gen I SBC and said something about PCM reprogramming. By that I'm assuming that it's a TBI unit, correct? Have you thought about some kind of aftermarket fuel injection? What trans?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 PM

It is the Vortec MPFI (new spider, not the older poppet spider). I know a lot of people love carbs and TBI for various reasons, and I do love my friend's Chevelle with his carb'd 383, but the goal behind this build was to keep the truck as a daily. I also had the 411 PCM already, forgot to mention the S10 is a 2002 and had that. So I sent it off and had it tuned for my setup. I have thought about getting an aftermarket intake w/a fuel rail, or the marine intake. Either one would increase my power potential. Plenty for now. ...once I get the heads to seal, that is.

Transmission is the original 4l60e, which I had rebuilt this year after the pump died one morning. I was going to run with it until it started having issues, thinking I could get a year or two before I had to deal with it, but it looks like the old engine may have damaged it (crankshaft end play) and my install depth might have been off as well. It lasted 1 month, lol. Now it's built up with all the clutches, 2-4 servo, shift kit, and one or two other things. Feels pretty crisp so I'm not afraid to drive.

Thanks for the welcome!

Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 PM

A couple of pics. I have better ones but as people are probably noticing a certain photo hosting site decided it wanted to die recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_182747.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	370025
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 10.07.31 PM.png
Views:	32
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	370033

Tags
oklahoma, s10, vortec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in