i found some used SBC parts today. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 PM

Last journal entry: finally got the engine home
Wiki Edits: 0

i found some used SBC parts today.

probly too much for a bracket car runnin a SBC 350 on 110 octane. I don't know if I can use any of them.
cam COMP Cams 12-810-9, Comp Cams Classic Camshafts | COMP Cams
rev kit looks like one of these. I have never used a rev kit http://www.summitracing.com/search/m...9%2B4294918294
lifter and link bars looks like these, I couldn't find any #'s on them. and don't know if I trust them links http://www.fvstore.com/i/265/10-SBC-...jpg.middle.jpg
the cam card matches the #'s etched on front of the cam. the push rods are 2 different lengths. 8 of the lifters have a black circle on top, valve springs in 2 different boxes, but look the same. every thing is in boxes and all boxes are marked in sharpie " 350 4" BORE LONG ROD".

I'm trying to help a friend put together a sbc for his bracket car, but I think this cam is too much for a 11.5- 12.5:1 350.
we only got some old 461, 462, 186 and WP sportsmans II heads to start with, a 4000 stall converter, th350 and 5.13 gears, a set of Harland sharp 1.5, and scorpion 1.5 rockers.
can I use the solid roller lifters on a smaller solid roller cam without the rev kit on these out of date heads????
its just gonna be a temp engine till he gets heads, pistons and cam for the BBC.
thx, rick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

The can is a bit much. Consider having it reground
The Following User Says Thank You to johnsongrass1 For This Useful Post:
jax_pap (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,191 Times in 2,679 Posts
I agree, cam is huge on duration, listed RPM range is !!5000-13,000 RPM!!!

Lifters and rev kit could be reused on a different cam, or like Johnsongrass1 mention you could have it reground to a more suitable profile....regrinding gets done all the time in the racing world, either through the original manufacturer or your favorite company, you'll just have to talk to them.

No reason not to use the rev kit as long as you have it, it's just good insurance at keeping the lifter in the bore if something farther up the valvetrain breaks, and a rev kit greatly increases solid roller lifter life, especially if street driven.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
jax_pap (05-28-2015)

Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 AM

Last journal entry: finally got the engine home

thx eric. no street drivin for his 72' chevelle. i still got to pull heads off 3 other complete 350's to see what crank, rods and pistons to run with. i'll be looking for parts that give the highest CR. with a good quench area. looks like the best set of heads, so far, are the sportsman II and they are mine. i pulled them off a running 385 years ago. he might just have a forged crank and goods rods in 1 of them 350 blocks, then again he might not have anything worth using. the 350 with the 461's looks very clean inside the lifter valley. he says it lost a cam lobe in less then 5 hrs, but had a steady 60 psi oil pressure.
i need to get over there and look at the bores, and check out the 350 in that s-10. its already got the fenders and rad support off. its got a RPM air gap, 186 heads, nice paint, eddy aluminum tall valve covers, long tubes on it. it might turn out to be the chosen one.......who knows, lol

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in