I.r.s. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2019, 05:02 AM
Curmudgeon at Large

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 master View Post
Have to load the axles and chunk in the truck for transport to the shop but all my friends (like me) and old and have back problems.
I find the cherry picker to be usefull for moving/lifting all kinds of different items.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer hitch 002.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	443777

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 master View Post
While researching different I.R.S. units I was surprised to learn the tall gears in a 'Vette unit as well not being strong. In my advanced years the not-so-strong I could live with but not the 2.73 gears. At any rate some people have used them with good results. Glad I started this thread just to give others options.

I broke down what I could of the Explorer rear end and now all I have left is the axles and center section. As you can see the brakes are huge and the center section is big too. The beer bottle is for scale only. Need to get a deep socket to take off the axle nut but can't identify the size. Everything is metric and large so a breaker bar was very handy. Have to load the axles and chunk in the truck for transport to the shop but all my friends (like me) and old and have back problems.
To clarify, that is the Expedition IRS using the iron 9.75 differential and 6 lug hubs. The Explorer uses an aluminum 8.8 diff and 5 lug hubs.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport View Post
To clarify, that is the Expedition IRS using the iron 9.75 differential and 6 lug hubs. The Explorer uses an aluminum 8.8 diff and 5 lug hubs.
I wouldn't think the Expedition unit would be anything you'd want to use in a street rod?
Even the Dodge Viper doesn't use anything that big and heavy, they used the Dana 44.
I wondered about those 6 lug hubs but didn't know enough about the Explorer rear to know that wasn't correct for one.

9.75" ring gear....wow, that's Dana 60 size stuff.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 AM

The rear in my C4 is 3.08. Makes for a great cruiser and not a complete dog off the line. I also have a 700r4 so the low first gear helps.

The car turns very well, better than the original bench seat can hold me.

My guess is I am running about 300 to 310 horsepower and 360 to 370 ft lbs. The Dana 36 is fine for that, but I would want the 44 if I put anything else in it.

I really like the adjustable dog bones. Let me see if I can find any chassis pics of mine.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 AM
Capt Mike

39 Master.

I don't know exactly why you want to install an IRS, but for me an IRS is preferred for many reasons. But whatever you install, a C4, Jag, Quick Change, Klugel, 8.8, ETC., anyone of these can be installed, some are more labor intensive and some are more expensive. But all can provide a reliable, safe, smooth ride. But none will tolerate continued abuse, such a dead stop launches for very long !

None of these IRS units will tolerate constant abuse, IE dead stop burns outs. Eventually there will be issues. The Kluglel is probably the strongest, the Diffy is a modern Camaro IRS, but this unit is expensive. .

Disc Brakes. You prob already know most modern IRS units house outboard Disc brakes.

One of significant issues that I've seen and experienced is that the rear wheels will need to be at least a 16 inch, 17 inch (even 18 inch) Wheel to clear the Calipers used on modern IRS ! The IRS larger Caliper / Rotor configurations is a consideration that must be considered prior to selection Tire / Wheels combinations and the Diffy gear ratio.

Because of the C5 calipers on the back of my '37 Chevy, I'm using 18 inch wheels for caliper clearance. The wheels are C5 Corvette thin spoke, 17 fronts and 18 rears. The only suitable tires that I found are Nitto 555 G2 @ 28.5 high and 11.5 wide. Not the 30 / 12 inch I wanted.

I own four Cars with Corvette Suspension of various years, three are Corvettes. I service them regularly, myself, and I've never had a suspension problem or failure of any kind. The HP ranges from 385 to over 450, but I never ever due dead stop burn outs. I've also install many C4 Corvette suspension into Street Rods, never any failures. It's all in how you drive and care for your car.

Good Luck.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:03 PM

First time I have ever seen a beer bottle used in a photo that was unopened.
Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 PM

Thanks Ray, beer is safe around my house...until Friday night when I try to liberate as many from under the cap as I can.

Disassembly is fighting me all the way. Axle on one side fell out and can't get the other side out no matter what I do. The side with the stuck axle had the rotor fall off and can't get the other rotor off with a dead blow hammer.

Needed to rent a 36mm deep socket to take the axle nuts off that are torqued to 200 foot/lbs. Locked the axle in place, put the socket on a loooong breaker bar and...and the damn nut was loose! Other side was loose also. Nyloc nut just needed minimum force to unscrew it. Stay tuned, I'm sure things are going to get funnier.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:54 PM

Hey, I feel your pain. I got a 60,000 mile 1964 Mercury Marauder from just south of the Canada Border in North Dakota. Grandson said it was rust free - I said sure (knowing the winters and snow there.) Turns out it was Grand Dad's car and he would not take it out of the garage if it was wet weather. Car is super clean underneath., better than my new drivers here in NM. Brakes needed work so I elected to install Disk brakes. The ball joints and the spindle bolts had never been removed and had a mind of their own in that they were NEVER going to be removed. I broke 4 pullers, ruined 2 pickle forks, and used up all kinds of heat. Took a couple of weeks before I got them out. Last one was on the lower of a spindle which ended up being cut out with a torch.

Years ago when a youngster, my Dad said " fix anything you want on a car but don't do front end work, You will hate it."

All these years later and here I am, too dumb to know when to quit.

Good luck with your nuts and bolts.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:35 PM
More for Less Racer

39 Master, did you miss the fact that it was posted that you don't have an
8.8" Explorer IRS, what you have is the massive 9.75" Expedition IRS??

Is that what you actually want under your ride?? If so, carry on
Old 06-02-2019, 06:54 PM

Yes I did know the Expedition was more "stout" than other I.R.S. units but did no realize just how stout it is. Right now I'm trying to press out the hub bearing so that I can turn down the hub and drill it for a 5 bolt pattern. I say trying because the bearing hasn't budged on the press so may have to go to a larger press. Also will look into remaking the knuckle and reduce the size so that a smaller than 17" rim will fit. If the hub and knuckle problems are not solved then I'm at a dead end with this unit.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:23 PM

I.r.s.

Started on the frame backhalf. I'm using 2" X 3" rectangular tubing 3/16" wall. Saved my old drawings from when I built the frame so I just had to draw it out on the table, cut the angles, bevel, clamp and weld. Did have a problem with the old welder but it's working OK now. Twenty foot stick of the rail was $106. Prices have gone up!

Still can't get the hub apart. Appears that the bearing was dropped in and then the side of the hub was friction welded. I say appears because the housing for the bearing (both hubs) are blue from heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backhalf 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	443975   Click image for larger version

Name:	backhalf 3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	443977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Expedition hub.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	443979  
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 PM
More for Less Racer

I can't say this is the case for sure, but a lot of the modern stuff has gone to sealed hub assembly's like that...when a bearing goes bad, you replace the whole hub assembly as a unit.
The front wheel bearings/hub on my 2000 2WD Dodge Dakota were that way.
I kind of liked it actually...brake rotor just slides on the hub after the hub assembly just slides onto the spindle...no muss, no fuss, no wheel bearing grease all over your hands and no pain in the butt wheel bearing grease packing required.
Whole job could have been done in a shop environment with air tools in 20 minutes flat.

Hub assembly was both inner and outer bearing, the hub, and new wheel studs all pre-assembled and ready to slip-on the spindle.
I wish my '72 Nova was set-up this way, with the slip on rotors

Problem for you is if I am right, your plans to change the wheel bolt pattern just got a whole lot harder.

If I was you, throw in the towel on that giagondo Expedition IRS and get the 8.8" Explorer assembly you should have started with. It's more than strong enough.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in