I thought I had things pretty good but it came out really ugly! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

abrading would be sanding. Don't get discouraged, my father painted almost every day for 20 years and then changed jobs, never really picked up a paint gun from 1985-2000. He had to relearn a lot, the chemistry, the products, the fact that the 'old' names aren't what they used to be...it all takes time and sometimes a little lost money; to get where you want to be

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post
Thanks guys. The instructions say it can be top coated upto 4 days with out abrading. I'm not exactly sure what abrading means but it will be 8 days before I can sand or paint it. My plan was to be done with it at this point and let it sit while I am off to move a disabled vet across the country in his wheel chair van. So much for my plan!

So if I understand then I need to sand it 320 and 400, hit it with 2 coats of epoxy and then to paint right? Or do I need to sand the epoxy again before paint?

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your help in this. Some how I got really lucky and did a beautiful paint job in my garage 25 years ago but man has everything changed!

Yes and no . You need to sand with 320 now and apply 2-3 more coats of epoxy to even everything out. Once that is sprayed you can sand that with 400 and then you are ready for paint. If you can't paint it right after you sand it with the 400, you can hit it with a red scotchbrite and that will open it up enough for adhesion. If you decide to paint it with a pearl or metallic, use a gray scothbrite prior to paint instead of a red one.

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
charchri4 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Jim Stainer

Bummer I was hoping to go straight to paint after sanding the epoxy that is on it now. I'm dumb to try this but not dumb enough not to listen to experience talking! OK I'll pick up some 400 and a red scotchbrite and hope to God I can shoot that epoxy with out dry lines or orange peel!

Thanks Kelly.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Jim Stainer

I know there is a million variables to this but how long after shooting epoxy do I have to wait to sand it?
I'm in a tent but can control the temp with a room AC or box heater easy enough.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

If you are within the re-coat window, you wouldn't necessarily have to sand the epoxy before paint. I do however recommend that you do if you are spraying 2 coats. If you are using it reduced and as a sealer then it will lay down smooth enough to paint over ( just like any other sealer) but when you are spraying 2 coats un-reduced and trying to build a little, it will get a little orange peel/texture to it. Read your tech sheet onthe primer you are using to make sure, but most epoxies are 24 wait time before sanding. If it goes on well you can wet sand with 400-600 depending on color type, and then go to paint after a good cleaning. I would have to check to make sure but I believe SPI is sandable after 12 hours, but I have never tried to rush it. I usually wait 48 hours after 2-3 coats and then sand wet or dry.

The hardest thing to do when painting is waiting, you wait for the primer to dry, then you wait for the sealer to dry, then you have to wait on the base to dry, then you have to wait for the clear to dry, and then you even have to wait more before sanding and buffing..... I HATE waiting, but I have learned the hard way in the past about trying to rush paint products, it never turns out well.

Also, after your final sanding and final wipe down with W&G remover, wait at least 30 minutes (60 would be better) to make sure all of the W&G has evaporated off prior to painting. Just before painting run around it with a tack cloth and get any dust, then spray away.

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
charchri4 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Jim Stainer

Well it came out pretty OK for a first timer!

Don't know why but it looks way better in person than the photos. The color is less gloss and the body art less fugly looking in person. But I could be seeing it through rose colored glasses too...
Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,941 Times in 4,412 Posts
Congratulations. Good to see your hard work and perseverance paid off.

Looks great.

John
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Custom Paint Manufacturer

Looks great...thanks for sharing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or follow us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Jim Stainer

BTW that is UreKem Semi Gloss Single Stage. It is the glossiest of their Phlats series paints. It took about a quart to put 2 coats on the car and went on with no problems at all.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Good job, congrats to all involved.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I know there is a million variables to this but how long after shooting epoxy do I have to wait to sand it?
I'm in a tent but can control the temp with a room AC or box heater easy enough.

Questions:

What did/do you use to blow out the paint fumes in your tent (i.e. fans, filters) and how is it set up?

Do you have additional photos of your tent setup?

I am curious because I will be painting my car in my garage and just trying to get some ideas of how to setup shop.

Thanks...Al
Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Jim Stainer

In the photo you can see a vent right up at the top of the peak. There is one on both ends of the tent and I put a fan blowing out on the outside of the tent on the down wind side. Depending on the day I had to move it from one end to the other. I just used a 20" box fan on low speed and it was fine. I really didn't want to exhaust the fumes fast because I didn't want to stir up dust. It probably took 45 minutes for the air to clear after shooting paint. The only filter I used was the screens that were already in the vents. The tent is actually pretty tight and with the plastic on the floor everything was covered with a clean layer so it worked really well.

You can see quite a bit more of it in the video I did but be ready to push the pause button when you see it because it comes by really fast.

Miata DIY complete paint job time lapse - YouTube
Old 06-27-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
In the photo you can see a vent right up at the top of the peak. There is one on both ends of the tent and I put a fan blowing out on the outside of the tent on the down wind side. Depending on the day I had to move it from one end to the other. I just used a 20" box fan on low speed and it was fine. I really didn't want to exhaust the fumes fast because I didn't want to stir up dust. It probably took 45 minutes for the air to clear after shooting paint. The only filter I used was the screens that were already in the vents. The tent is actually pretty tight and with the plastic on the floor everything was covered with a clean layer so it worked really well.

You can see quite a bit more of it in the video I did but be ready to push the pause button when you see it because it comes by really fast.

Miata DIY complete paint job time lapse - YouTube
Thank you.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in