I thought I had things pretty good but it came out really ugly! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Jim Stainer

Wiki Edits: 0

I thought I had things pretty good but it came out really ugly!

I block sanded all the filler and bad spots with 80, 100 and 120 then went over the whole car with a DA in 120, 180 and 220.

This is 5 coats of epoxy primer and you can still see filler and places I broke through the factory paint.

The factory paint lifted just behind the gas cap.

I was planning on leaving it in this primer for the summer but there is no way I can live with this mess. Is there any fix for it?

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,930 Times in 4,409 Posts
I am not the local paint expert here but I think you are in much better shape than you think you are.

It is normal for Epoxy to show the outlines of everything that is under it on the first application. Even with multiple coats. The primer is absorbed differently in each of the different underlying surfaces.

Let it sit for a day or two and block it wet with 320 or similar. Then shoot 2 more coats and it should cover evenly without the highlights. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
charchri4 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,263 Times in 4,535 Posts
Yep, John is right on the money.

Brian

Old 06-09-2014, 04:17 AM

Sorry to see that you had a problem. If you sand down around the hood scoop and other areas and prime with the primer i sent you then apply the epoxy you will be good to go.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I am not the local paint expert here but I think you are in much better shape than you think you are.

It is normal for Epoxy to show the outlines of everything that is under it on the first application. Even with multiple coats. The primer is absorbed differently in each of the different underlying surfaces.

Let it sit for a day or two and block it wet with 320 or similar. Then shoot 2 more coats and it should cover evenly without the highlights. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

John
There you go ,he hit it right on the head...All normal,except for the lifting around the gas cap ,sand that down good before repriming.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Custom Paint Manufacturer

Looks like you may have to increase your overlap or do a dropcoat to get rid of that striping on the deck lid since you want it looking nice and even to drive a while. A little extra reducer in the primer might also help if your paint supplier allows it....moving along nicely though.

Picked a final color yet?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or follow us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCoatingStore For This Useful Post:
charchri4 (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Jim Stainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoatingStore View Post
Looks like you may have to increase your overlap or do a dropcoat to get rid of that striping on the deck lid since you want it looking nice and even to drive a while. A little extra reducer in the primer might also help if your paint supplier allows it....moving along nicely though.

Picked a final color yet?

Thanks Will. Funny you should ask I just spent the last hour on your site! My plan was to leave it in the primer for the summer then next year or so hit it with your pacific blue pearl. Now I am thinking if I'm going to block it and shoot again next week I may as well shoot paint rather than primer again. But I'm a little nervous about shooting pearl and clear at this point so I was looking at your satin or semi gloss black kits. My only concern is shooting UreKem over Kirker epoxy.

Last edited by charchri4; 06-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to charchri4 For This Useful Post:
TheCoatingStore (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Jim Stainer

Any advantage in going finer than 320? I've got some 400 and 600 wet paper.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post
Any advantage in going finer than 320? I've got some 400 and 600 wet paper.
Any will work but the 320 or 400 will be faster and easier than the finer paper. If you put on 2 coats of epoxy I suspect it will hide sand scratches up to 220 to 180.

John
Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

If you are going to reprime the car, 220-320 should be fine with 2 coats of epoxy, but I am not familiar with how much build the kirker has. I know with my preferred brand 180 grit is not a problem with 2 coats (I have never seen 80 grit on bare metal show through 2 coats SPI actually). If you are going to block and reprime a few sand throughs and then paint, I would recommend 400 final grit for a solid color and 600 for a pearl or metallic color. I think I would go over everything with 180 and then put on 2 more coats of epoxy. That should even everything out and also will act as a sealer coat. You can 600 wet to smooth it all out nice and then go to paint.

Kelly
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Jim Stainer

Thanks Kelly! The primer sands like a dream with 220 (dry) and I knocked out the orange peel and dry lines on the hood in about half an hour last night. I am going to us a SS solid semi gloss black color so I'll take it to 400. If I don't break through the primer should I still reprime before paint?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

If you don't sand through the epoxy, you should be fine to put on a sealer and go to paint. As long as you don't sand though the primer, you wouldn't necessarily need the sealer, but out of habit and being bitten a few times in the past, I seal everything.

Kelly
Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post
Thanks Kelly! The primer sands like a dream with 220 (dry) and I knocked out the orange peel and dry lines on the hood in about half an hour last night. I am going to us a SS solid semi gloss black color so I'll take it to 400. If I don't break through the primer should I still reprime before paint?
Go by the tech sheet of the brand you are using but the norm for an Epoxy primer is a 7 day window to recoat. After that, it cures too much for a chemical bond and must e scuffed and recoated before painting.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Go by the tech sheet of the brand you are using but the norm for an Epoxy primer is a 7 day window to recoat. After that, it cures too much for a chemical bond and must e scuffed and recoated before painting.

John
I think Kelly and I were typing at the same time and did not see each others post but if I remember you said you wanted to drive it this summer in primer. That was my reason for mentioning the window.

If you take Kelly's advice and seal it with epoxy the window becomes irrelevant since you will be scuffing it and recoating it any way.

Kelly, I sent you a PM......

John
Old 06-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Jim Stainer

Thanks guys. The instructions say it can be top coated upto 4 days with out abrading. I'm not exactly sure what abrading means but it will be 8 days before I can sand or paint it. My plan was to be done with it at this point and let it sit while I am off to move a disabled vet across the country in his wheel chair van. So much for my plan!

So if I understand then I need to sand it 320 and 400, hit it with 2 coats of epoxy and then to paint right? Or do I need to sand the epoxy again before paint?

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your help in this. Some how I got really lucky and did a beautiful paint job in my garage 25 years ago but man has everything changed!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in