Identify this paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Identify this paint

This is a 38 Zephyr and we've been trying to discover who the builder was in order to get information on the paint configuration. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 03:31 PM

looks like the ford color on that 2010 ish ford suv.. that looks like a oversized scion XB..

2010 flex
Old 05-10-2016, 04:56 PM

Well, it's maroon but not really closer than that. Thanks for looking!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:39 PM

If you don't find out what this builder used, try to lay hands on a House Of Kolor paint chip book.

In those books you can compare candy colors over various base colors.

Once you find some you like, have your painter shoot some samples on the plastic shapes that paint stores sell.

That way you can look at the different colors under low light... cloudy... and bright light conditions. Then you can choose one, or try others until you are satisfied. Then you know what you are getting after you spend the big money!
Old 05-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
hard to tell but it looks like brandywine candy
Old 05-10-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlotz View Post
Well, it's maroon but not really closer than that. Thanks for looking!
go look at a paint chip before you write off a catalog photo print.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,409 Posts
It does look like Brandywine. But do you realize that everyone of use is likely looking at a different color than you because of our monitors being different? A color on a computer screen is pretty much worthless.

You need to do what Jay said. There is no gray area (if you will pardon the pun) without seeing the color in person it means nothing.

Brian
Old 05-10-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It does look like Brandywine. But do you realize that everyone of use is likely looking at a different color than you because of our monitors being different? A color on a computer screen is pretty much worthless.

You need to do what Jay said. There is no gray area (if you will pardon the pun) without seeing the color in person it means nothing.

Brian
Then if you find the person that sprayed it, you have to hope they remember how many coats..
Old 05-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:

Brian
^^^THIS. More importantly, any custom build like this almost certainly used a custom blended color. I can pretty much guarantee that is it NOT a stock Ford (or any other OEM) color. HOK paints are designed so that you can easily custom blend colors. Their chip charts are only suggestions. Without talking to the builder, you will only be guessing.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Brian
Yup, well aware of this Martin, I'm a photographer, which is why I'm trying to get a lead as to who the builder was. The photo contains no info (exif/iptc data) unfortunately. Only thing I know is the photo came from the NY Times in 2007.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
^^^THIS. More importantly, any custom build like this almost certainly used a custom blended color. I can pretty much guarantee that is it NOT a stock Ford (or any other OEM) color. HOK paints are designed so that you can easily custom blend colors. Their chip charts are only suggestions. Without talking to the builder, you will only be guessing.
Exactly Joe! Finding the builder is what I'm hoping for, but so far I don't have much of a lead.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
If you don't find out what this builder used, try to lay hands on a House Of Kolor paint chip book.

In those books you can compare candy colors over various base colors.

Once you find some you like, have your painter shoot some samples on the plastic shapes that paint stores sell.

That way you can look at the different colors under low light... cloudy... and bright light conditions. Then you can choose one, or try others until you are satisfied. Then you know what you are getting after you spend the big money!
Jay, this is most likely where I'm going to end up. Just hopped over to their digital paint booth software site and their design program is pretty amazing. Their video demo is very impressive. House of Kolor Digital Paint Booth : Demo
Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 PM

I ran into a similar problem once. Found out that the shop bench mixed, and didn't keep any records.
But they did tell me that they used a particular pearl mixed in the clear. But couldn't say how much, or how many coats. It was done totally "off the cuff". Folks at the paint store, "took a picture" of it and mixed up the color. I figured that I'd have to blend from here to next week. Turned out to be a butt shoot match! and on top of that, they recorded the formula. Can we say Lucky?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in