IFS failure = tragic results - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Wiki Edits: 6

As a Suspension - Brakes - Steering Moderator, and the original starter of this thread ...

I am glad to see all the views on this safety issue thread. It has been viewed over two thousand times. Hopefully, some of the folks who have viewed the thread has gone out and inspected their vehicle ... or told someone else about this and they inspected their vehicle.

I also would like to THANK all the folks for keeping this a level headed discussion and presenting their thoughts and ideas in a adult manner ... IF this thread has saved just one person from the same tragic event as the owner of the street rod in the photos my friend sent me ... I will be a real happy man.

Deuce ... Moderator

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Wiki Edits: 161

I just gave Speedway a call and spoke with Tim in customer service..
The Sweet brand coupling that they sell for mounting to a corvair box (PN# 910-32235)is indeed a forged piece, with one end designed to be welded, and the other end has splines and a set screw. It was not intended to be pinned as was shown in Daves picture.

The Safety Racing U joint, PN# 910-31636 is from "across the pond" as Tim put it, but is forged as well, and not cast. Safety racing is another one of Speedways house brands.

Later, Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Mickey,

It took me three reads of your post which included my post on steering joints to understand what you were saying. I sometimes have to read things several times to properly understand..... too early in the day to blame the Chardonnay, it's old age.
I believe were are in agreement and I thank you for adding the info from your call to Speedway as it supports my conclusions.
Your call to Speedway reveals that Total Performance is using the coupler incorrectly...... unless I need to read your recent post again.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 11-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I should have read Daves post # 84 am a little better myself before I responded with mine.

Dugg- I mistakenly thought that it was TCI that he was referring to, and I originally posted thinking you had made a mistake with company location, etc.

That was totally my mistake, I am sorry. I am also sorry that I wrote an incomprehensible post. I didn't want to post something then edit out my mistakes..

I took more issue with the generalization of Speedways products, which is not always top of the line stuff, but they don't charge like it is either. I have bought many thousands of dollars worth of their stuff to install on my customers cars over the years, and never felt like they misrepresented their product or sold dangerously inadequate products.

Later, mikey

Old 11-16-2007, 12:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Mikey,
In 1991 the u-joint that I used was indeed from Speedway. Sixteen + years later and seven + years after I sold the car, I do not have a clue as to the brand or country of manufacture but it was before the Great Chinese Onslaught of crap car parts. It was hawked as race car u-joint at that time, not as a road vehicle part. Whatever it was it was one heluva lot better the the crummy SLIP coupling that Lauria supplied. Mickey Lauia's comment to me at the time when I showed it to him - in person - went something like this "Hmmmm, I've never seen that problem before. I was a machining error and they left too many sharp edges in the cut out" He was right - and the 'sharp edges' put the coupling in a shear failure mode. And, as far as I know, they are still made that way. Today, I wouldn't consider using it as there are too many good pieces like Borgeson, Flaming River and Maval. And I'm a lot older and smarter.

Dave

PS: Is this one OK for my new car? The separate bearing is on the car and isn't shown
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steeringshaft2-1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	25575  
Old 11-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield

Quote:
PS: Is this one OK for my new car?
That shaft looks strong enough to run a PTO winch or dumpbody pump

Comparing it to an OEM unit, there is no fail-safe that I can see as far as a loose set screw. When I worked at a truck fleet, their set screws were different because the shafts are under serious abuse. They had some that used the long set screw with a jamb nut, and some used a long square head screw that is drilled for a safety wire. Also the shaft always had a drilled spot for the point of the screw to seat against.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
That shaft looks strong enough to run a PTO winch or dumpbody pump

Came from just down the road from you - it's all Borgeson - and had best be strong enough to steer a 2500# 'A' roadster or I'm in deep doo doo......

Dave
Old 11-17-2007, 12:03 AM

Green '34.....actually a '33 project.....

[QUOTE=Irelands child]:
The '34 looks like a work in progress and for sure could become the basis for a very nice project.

Dave,
That old green '34 is actually a '33, according to the owner, and believe it or not, it's finished. The owner of that car lives just a few miles from me here in NC. I met him and the guy who painted it a couple of months ago at his back yard shop, as they were finishing it up. From what I understand, he paid quite a bit to get it painted like that. It started as an old "Modified" race car. Lots of body work, painted it green, then spent several hours sanding through to the primer in places to resemble years and years of patina. After getting it just right, they clear coated it with flat clear. The car has been completely rebuilt/restored inside and out, with the best of everything. It has a spotless hotrodded flat head V-8, with Offenhauser heads, alum intake, and all the other go fast goodies for flat heads, with enough chrome trim to make it just right, without over doing it. He also has a nice red '33 (with a perfect paint job), and has owned several others. Said he just wanted to do something "different" with this one. I think he managed to pull that off. A nice project for sure...LOL. Have a good one.....

Jim
N. Carolina
Old 11-17-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
rossco,

Not to deny the importance of the inspections you describe, but but far more people get killed in this country becuase of drunk drivers and cell phones than cracked suspension parts.
I hear you. We are particularly tough on drunk drivers. The cops set up random testing to catch drink drivers. They literally block of a section of the road and stop every car passing through. All drivers are then made to blow into a device that detects alcohol. Those that record a detection are then processed further by way of more accurate equipment which gives a confirmed readout as to whats in your blood system.
And at the same time they check your W.O.F. sticker.

But cell phone usage is still legal. Now that is "Draconian". Most people can talk on a phone and drive reasonably well. It's when they are texting and driving that makes me a little jumpy.

Mikey....We too have a strong interest in hot/street rods and modified cars. Most builders of cars such as these actually build and own cars of a superior standard to what you can buy off the show room floor direct from the factory. The after market parts that you fit to your vehicle are exactly that. They are engineered to do the job they are intended. These products are produced by companies or individuals who live or die according to their reputation. Crappy parts or workmanship soon leads to a bad reputation and no customers.
Remember that our W.O.F test is a minimum standard test. So therefore if you are putting heavy duty gear into your project then you have nothing to fear. What it does do, is to insure that it continues to be maintained. And that means regular inspections. Now that can't be a bad thing surely.
Just on another point.... I am a regular visitor to your country. In fact I have only been home a few weeks since my last visit to the U.S.
i just start to get "intoxicated" with all the cool cars, new ideas, and trends when I have to leave for home. So i am pretty up to date with your Governments ways and legislation. There is only two things I don't understand.
1) Why is your sales tax an add on? It should be included in the total purchase price.
2) I would live in the States tomorrow if they would have me...but I am an "alien". Although our countries are close allies and we stand together shoulder to shoulder in all the worlds conflicts, buy each others products through a free trade agreement and will unreservedly defend one another through our commitment to the ANZUS treaty.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I have some ideas about taxes and immigration, but all that's for a lounge thread.

Kiwis coming over is alright by me.

Now if you want to know about how bad a state can screw up the addition of better performing parts to your car, just look at all of the stuff in the catalogs that has the warning, "not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles"

Where do you think that comes from?...

I can see it now, all the parts they could tag with..."Not legal for sale or use on any car subject to WOF inspections"...

All I'm saying is ....Who could judge whether or not an installation of a front clip or home made ladder bar setup was mechanically sound. It seems to me that unless the part was already approved for use , a government inspector would be bound by a bunch of pretty arbitrary rules.

Later, mikey

Old 11-17-2007, 03:17 AM
bentwings

Hey Rossco, want to trade identities???? haha I'd love to go to NZ. I've heard a lot about it. Passed up offer going to AUS early in college.

If you get a chance come up to Minnesota for "Back to the 50's" It's as big or bigger than the Nationals. About 11,500 streetrods this year. The fairgrounds are about the second largest in the country. Huge cruising events in both Mpls and St.Paul for the entire week.

http://www.msra.com/

Oh yeah you can register your car as a streetrod with limited driving priveledges, collector car, or if you want to jump thru all the hoops you can get a "real" title. Need receipts etc, The states wants it's tax money basically. I'm working on this now. Lots of $$$ for the first time registrtion but it's worth it in the end come time to sell.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Now if you want to know about how bad a state can screw up the addition of better performing parts to your car, just look at all of the stuff in the catalogs that has the warning, "not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles"

Where do you think that comes from?...

I can see it now, all the parts they could tag with..."Not legal for sale or use on any car subject to WOF inspections"...

Later, mikey
Yes Mikey, you are right. Your legislation in California regarding smog is complex, driven by blinded bureaucracy and regularly reformed with strengthened criteria. As newer model cars become more environmentally friendly it narrows the threshold for older cars to comply. This is where local government needs to take a step back now and let the industry determine the standard. But that won't happen of course , because they believe they have a vested interest. The only interest they have in real terms is the glorious aroma of tax dollars.
Our WOF test has been around along time. I'm just a couple of years older than yourself, and it was established long before I took my first breath. But thats irrelevant. What is crucial to it's success over all this time is it has been left alone. It is controlled primarily by the industry. The test conducted today is not alot different to the test carried out fifty years ago. Obviously things like, seat belts for example, have been introduced since then. So they need to be checked. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:10 AM

[QUOTE=bentwings]Hey Rossco,
If you get a chance come up to Minnesota for "Back to the 50's" It's as big or bigger than the Nationals. About 11,500 streetrods this year. The fairgrounds are about the second largest in the country. Huge cruising events in both Mpls and St.Paul for the entire week.

Hey Bentwings, can you PM me with your e-mail address? I would love to correspond with you.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=01Hillbilly]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
:
The '34 looks like a work in progress and for sure could become the basis for a very nice project.

Dave,
That old green '34 is actually a '33, according to the owner, and believe it or not, it's finished.
Jim
N. Carolina
Jim
I guess it's back 'to each his own' - I've just always liked mine shiny. It sounds like a really nice car - and as a former buider of many flatheads can sure appreciate that as well.
Dave
Old 11-17-2007, 08:44 AM

now i'm concerned with my build ! 33 dodge "humpback" panel. hopeful projected weight of 26-2800#. my front crossmember is 3/16" thick. internally, there is a 2"dia. slug between the sides the thrubolt mounts to. on each side of the lower mount, the tubes are 1 3/4"dia. x2"long, with 1/4" gussetts 3" long. the lower a-arms are 12" wide. nothing hangs below the crossmember. this is still in the build process, so mods are very possible. i plan on a rear gussett of some kind from the rear a-arm mount to the frame. also, the lower coilover mount[tacked for now] will be gusseted[boxed] to the lower a-arm. any criticisms or comments gladly welcom !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001908 (Small).JPG
Views:	238
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	25593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001909 (Small).JPG
Views:	258
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	25594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001910 (Small).JPG
Views:	237
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	25595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001911 (Small).JPG
Views:	251
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	25596  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in