ifs vs dropped axle - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,938 Times in 4,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65shelby
Hello all, I am new here and would appreciate some feedback. I have been unable to decide whether to install an ifs or drop axle in my project. I am building a fenderless 31 model a truck. i want a tasteful mix of traditional and modern. I love the look of the drop axles but want the performance of an ifs. I have designed a independant dropped axle design that I am considering fabricating. Any suggestions? I will only use the ifs if it looks clean, nothing frame wise showing. has anyone built a drop axle that could hang in there with an ifs? Thank you
My take is a simple one, some would say simple minded. I say I drive an old car because I like to drive OLD cars and I want it to feel like one. I will make improvements but I want the improvements being sort of "period".

Your split I Beam idea is pushing the "Improvements" in my way of thinking, but not too much. I have to wonder how much better it can be without what a proper IRS provides, like anti dive and more constant camber or at least controlable camber mods. I honestly don't think it will be that big of a difference from a properly set up I beam. I have been pretty impressed with how they can handle.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 11:33 PM

drop vs ifs

thank you for the responses. Everyone seems to have the same thoughts on this.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

There actually are some decent looking IFS's on fenderless vehicles but they are pretty complex pushrod (Indy car) type with inboard springs and shocks. Heidt's makes something close, but expensive in comparison with a nice I-beam set up($5200 for what I like). Also, not sure how good it would look on a p/u.

Dave W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pushrod IFS.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	58420  

Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 PM

drop axle vs ifs

thanks for all the help guys. I have decided to go with a drop axle. I like the look better, even though I will miss the ride. I do love taking those corners.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Just for your viewing "enjoyment" a couple of fenderless roadsters, top one is a '32,the 2nd is a '31 on deuce rails- one w/I-beam, the other w/IFS

Then my full fendered '31 with IFS:

Dave W
Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
There is another mmeber here that built a split tube axle which gives you the flexability (almost) of an IRS but the look of a solid axle.

Here's his website with a lot more pictures:

http://dons.zenfolio.com/p861300798/e2bf3c124#h32205db4
i don't get it. his fabrication skills are very good, but as an engineer i see so many ways for this to fail. catastrophically. the use of hairpins to keep the axle from rotating and then a swivel in the center to encourage rotation. but the biggest stress points and thus failure points i see, is moving his suspension to the rear 10'' and mounting it on 1'' solid round stock drilled thru the axle. even the panhard bar is mounted with a 10'' offset. i see it was finished in 07, i wonder if it was ever road worthy???
Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Sprint cars and Dodge trucks use solid front axles and the 4bar setup with coils..those handle well and give a good look..

Sam
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM

There is a lot to be said for the "look" of a fenderless hot rod. Not a lot of mention here about drivability. My question to 65shelby is are you building it for to show or as a driver. There are some major performance and handeling tradeoffs to an I beam axel. For those who drive 'em, things like bump steer and crawfishing over bumpy roads can can get tiring after a while. A well designed IFS will definitly make a better driver. As mentioned, an I beam with four bar would be the next best thing. I'd go one step further for drivability and put in a Unisteer rack vs a Vega box. If the rod is more for show than go I'd bypass the hairpin look and go right for the split wishbones and F1 box. Now that's a traditional rod look. You won't win any road races but no one will fault you for looking traditional.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 AM

Why not try a split I beam aka ford truck only with "car" sized parts?

Beams- check, hairpins-check, IFS-check

scaled down from a ford truck , hell it last Ford how long??? Plus no-one else would have one. just my 2 cents
Rick
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Last journal entry: Frame Basics

ifs vs dropped axle

As a hot rodder, I am a dedicated follower of the dropped axle, not everyone has the facilities to produce a multi-link indy suspension. I believe we as part of the hot rod fraternity subscribe to quality, ingenuity, and simplicity. My 27 is like many of the rods with its dropped axle, I love the look. The handling will never win a slalom or a road race, but give me a 1/4 mile of asphalt, and there's not many cars that will go faster. The rat rod I built in 1962 had the same front end, and a 348 chev. It was fast yes and it had all the handling idiosyncrasies the dropped axle and leaf spring is known for. Heck, my 96 trans am had bump steer like crazy. So what, as long as what you build does what you want it to who cares, just be proud of it and enjoy it. It is your badge of honor, and what sets you apart from the majority of people.

My nickels worth.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:17 AM

ifs vs dropped

I agree with centerline, I'm building a 36 ford which will have a Jag Irs in back, but in front, I'm going with a 4- bar link straight axle in order to keep the old school look. I think I would trust it more than IFS in front
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Built several A'S & B'S back in the day and still would recommend the dropped I beam it's the way to go.

Enjoy the ride
Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM

ifs vs dropped

Thanks oldtime, Mine isn't dropped, it's stock, original. The guy that sold it to me welden the brackets for the 4-bar link rods and gave me the rods also. All I have to get are the spindles and king pins
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 PM

ifs vs drop

Thanks everyone, I will most likely go drop axle. Being fenderless I like the look better. Although there are some beautiful ifs cars out there. I really want to try my ifs drop axle idea though. Does anyone know of a supplier that offers a longer 4 bar set up?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:36 AM

ifs vs dropped

I've never owned a rod with an ifs I'm not even sure how to put one on. I suppose I could learn, like every thing else, but for me, nothing does it like looking at an old school I beam dropped axle staring me right in the face.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in