ifs vs dropped axle - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65shelby
thanks once again guys, duece, i want to be in that line of cars! Thats an awesome shot. Has anyone used a rack other than the vega mounted one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65shelby
I know of the vega box, but there is a rack commonly used that they designed to bolt to a vega box bracket attached to the frame, thanks tho
The shot of my 32 roadster was taken @ the GoodGuys Indy event 2007. That shot was actually printed in Street Rodder Magazine. 2007 was the 75th anniversary of the 32 Ford and GoodGuys had a special get together @ the Indy Speedway for 32 Fords only.

GO HERE to see it on the Street Rodder web page

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/event.../photo_08.html

The Uni-Steer works great. I have one on my 32 Ford 3W.

Vega boxes are good also but finding a good used one on a Vega is difficult. Buying a new repro quality Vega box is almost as much as the Uni-Steer. Some of the repro Vega boxes are not very good.

I had converted a friends 32 with a Vega ... over to a Uni-Steer and liked it. SO ... I bought one for my 3W. I have a Vega box on the roadster. It works well also ... but if it ever needs replacing, I will convert it to the Uni-Steer also.

Advertisement

Last edited by Deuce; 10-12-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 12:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

ifs vs dropped

Centerline, I like the way that Nova box looks. What year do I look for to get one?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna hernandez
Centerline, I like the way that Nova box looks. What year do I look for to get one?
To the best of my knowledge its an early 60's unit. I don't know for sure as I purchased it at a swap meet several years ago. Its not quite as small as the Vega unit but it is small none the less. Cost me $15 at the time.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"If guns kill people, then...... pencils miss spell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!" - Anonymous

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM

ifs vs dropped

Thanks centerline I'll look around for one like it
Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 PM

drop axle

thanks centerline, that is the one I had mentioned. Nice piece, but as I mentioned, Im curious of a different rack existing that has a more traditional mounting location off of the crossmember. Id like the clearance around the frame that the vega bracket occupies.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 PM

If you look closely at Deuce's picture of that unit you'll see it does bolt to the Vega mounting bracket.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you." – Jeremy Clarkson
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 AM

drop axle

trust me, I understand the vega bracket,I am wondering about another rack design that does NOT use the vega bracket. I am trying to keep that area on the left frame rail clean of obstruction. Thanks again
Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 AM

If the rack is NOT mounted to a frame rail, it must be mounted to the front crossmember Not a good place to mount it ... because of caster changes when the suspension moves up/down. OR ... You can mount the rack to the axle to eliminate the caster changes ... but then you need a sliding u joint to hook the rack to the steering column. PLUS the added weight on the axle adds to the unsprung weight. ADD ... it is UGLY.

DEUCE ... Moderator
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,889 Times in 4,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
If the rack is NOT mounted to a frame rail, it must be mounted to the front crossmember Not a good place to mount it ... because of caster changes when the suspension moves up/down. OR ... You can mount the rack to the axle to eliminate the caster changes ... but then you need a sliding u joint to hook the rack to the steering column. PLUS the added weight on the axle adds to the unsprung weight. ADD ... it is UGLY.

DEUCE ... Moderator
The caster has nothing to do with it as it doesn't change. What goes wrong with the rack is when it is mounted so that when the axle goes up and down the arch of the tie rod ends doesn't match the arch of the axle. The distance between the pivot points of the inner and outer tie rod remans the same while the arch of the axle changes the mounting points. Thus you have bump steer.

But the caster never changes, or not much at all and it wouldn't effect how it drives.

Brian
Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

But the caster never changes, or not much at all and it wouldn't effect how it drives.

Brian

TRUE ,,, I was thinking about my reply ... and came back to change it to BUMP STEER ... and had already been caught with incorrect information. MARTINSR is correct.

Mounting the rack on the crossmember or the axle is still a bad idea IMHO.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
TRUE ,,, I was thinking about my reply ... and came back to change it to BUMP STEER ... and had already been caught with incorrect information. MARTINSR is correct.

Mounting the rack on the crossmember or the axle is still a bad idea IMHO.

It's not a bad idea, it's a HORRIBLE idea. The arch of the pivot points simply aren't going to match those same points on the axle. ONE of them is going to change during movement and you will have bump steer. But the same thing can happen with that Vega box mount, it makes no difference if the rack was mounted to the crossmember or the frame two inches behind or hanging off the frame on that Vega box adapter. The exact same issue exists, are the pivot points on the inner and outer tie rods going to follow the same arch (thus staying the same distance apart) as those same points in the arch of the axle?

The design you are using may be a "rack and pinion" by the design of unit it's self but the way it's mounted it really isn't a "rack and pinion" as we know it, it's simply a cross link "steering box" of a different design.

If it were mounted like that without a tie rod running from left to right spindle and you had the tie rod ends going off the rack to the left and right spindles you would have the exact same issue as if it were mounted to the crossmember. Just to clear things up your "rack and pinion" in your setup is actually a simply replacing a steering box and drag link.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 10-05-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

I have been following this thread and all I can say is that the uni-steer is about the only practical rack steering box for an early ford that I know of. the vega type box works fine for most guys but if not having the box up front like that requires then one needs to go back to the drag link setup. Drag link setups can work out just fine if and a big if the length of the drag link matches the length of the radius rods..

I have seen this same discussion many times before and while I am not sure just what the guys in the past have wound up doing for me the works good and steers right overrides anything else..

Sam
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM

Sam, you can run the Vega or like box up at the crossmember with a cross link.
Edit: I just re-read your post and this is what you meant, sorry.

Brian

Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Sam, you can run the Vega or like box up at the crossmember with a cross link.
Edit: I just re-read your post and this is what you meant, sorry.

Brian

I wish you guys would define your terms because I don't think that's what Sam meant when he said "if the length of the drag link matches the length of the radius rods.." -- that to me describes a side steer drag link. What you show as a cross link can also be called a drag link but that is cross steer.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the type steering that's being refereed to as a "drag link" style. In this case the "drag link" needs to be the same length as the "split bones" in order to eliminate bad things happening when the suspension moves around.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should be put together". - Tim Allen

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in