I'm confused - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm confused

What's the difference between body filler (i.e. Evercoat rage Ultra), metal glaze (i.e. Evercoat metal glaze ultra) and body putty.

Here's my understanding, but please correct me if wrong. Body filler is for larger repairs and glaze is for smaller repairs and can/should (?) be used over body filler to get a smoother textured finish and to eliminate pinholes (skim coat similar to like using drywall mud). Now to make things even more confusing for me, the Rage Ultra product states that it eliminates the need for body putty? So, where does body putty come in the picture? When should one product be used vs. the other? I googled and got so many opinions, even those that say that they are basically the same stuff.

I had my mind set on ordering the Evercoat Rage Ultra body filler thinking that is all I needed, but then got confused by the other products as they seem to be used to do the same job or help make the use of one product better.

I have some small door dings and a small dent near the gas cap door to repair and want to use the best product to get the job done right; don't want to do a half baked job as I am shooting for a show car quality paint job.

Confused...Al

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 01:22 PM

I am no chemist, but I think most fillers are intended for use over bare body work, and are somewhat "grainy".

I use rage, and it seems like a finer/smoother filler, and can also be used over sanded paint.

I still use Fiberglass Evercoat's Euro Soft glaze when I am guide coating and blocking primer.

I do only custom and resto work, and these two products have been very dependable, with no adhesion, shrinkage or cracking problems. I have used both for many years, and recommend them.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Fillers are for big gouges and grooves. Most of the guys here like to use their metal working skills to make the repair so the use of fillers is minimal. Most of us do not use any "body putty" as those are used for filling fine scratches and we use a high build primer in the sanding and blocking to get a smooth base to apply our finish to. My deal is that if the repairs are done well all you will need to do is some minor fills and the high build primers will take care of the rest of it. A lot of those fillers and putties are crutches for the guy who does not want to or is not capable of doing the job properly in the first place.

Sam

Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 AM

You can save yourself about $20 on a gallon and get Marson platinum plus, it's a nice creamy filler nearly identical to Rage, except you aren't paying the Evercoat price. The most obvious difference in the fillers you've asked about is thickness and sandability. The fillers are thicker than the glazes, so the fillers are going to have more build. However they don't sand as easy as a glaze. The glazes are almost like a liquid and have little build to them. For what you're wanting to do, I'd go with a creamy polyester filler like the Rage or Platinum Plus (I use the latter). You can still stand it very smooth.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. As stated, the dings are very small/minor and don't require hammers or metal work to fix, but a bit more than build primer to correct as I see it, but a professional painter may see it otherwise. I think just a little bit of filler will do the trick. Whatever I use, it won't be a lot since the repairs are very minor.

Lizer, is this thefiller you're referring, too?

http://3mcollision.com/3m-platinum-p...ler-01131.html

Thanks...Al

Last edited by Methodical; 08-12-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
I've been a big Evercoat fan for years, I use Z-grip because its thicker ,therefor shrinks the least, I also use their EZ sand putty...Now days they make a filler and putty for everybodys style,theres so many I dont even try to keep track of them..Like Rage, its thinner so it spreads easier and sands easier than the z grip but it costs a LOT more and IMO it shrinks more too requiring more coats/time. I use the EZ sand insted of a build primer because its faster and cheaper than primer....my primer is an epoxy thats used as a primer and doesnt need any build qualities ,its only there for the paint to stick too....
with this combo I can mix the the two together to get any consistancy I need...Sometimes I want my bondo a little thinner and add the putty to the bondo and then sometimes I want my putty a bit thicker by adding a little bondo to the putty...using some thicker putty (by adding bondo) makes filling dings a breeze with one coat in most cases ....My best advice on fillers and putties is to stick with Evercoat .....
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. As stated, the dings are very small/minor and don't require hammers or metal work to fix, but a bit more than build primer to correct as I see it, but a professional painter may see it otherwise. I think just a little bit of filler will do the trick. Whatever I use, it won't be a lot since the repairs are very minor.

Lizer, is this thefiller you're referring, too?

http://3mcollision.com/3m-platinum-p...ler-01131.html

Thanks...Al

Yep, that would be it. No real benefit to using it over Evercoat or vice versa. It's very similar to the Rage just a bit less expensive. I've used a lot if it and like it a lot.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Yep, that would be it. No real benefit to using it over Evercoat or vice versa. It's very similar to the Rage just a bit less expensive. I've used a lot if it and like it a lot.

Thanks. Question. Does it come with the hardener? I ask because some folks on Amazon that ordered the product say it came with the hardener, while others said it did not.

Al
Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 AM

It *should* come with hardener that's usually a tube taped to the lid. However, anytime I've ever bought it I bought it from a local paint supply shop or O'reilly Auto Parts. O'reilly's actually carries a huge line of body supplies, it's just not something they stock in the store; I've seen their PBE catalog, it looked about 1/2" thick. You have to ask if they are one of the PBE stores (and not all are). But if they are, they have a ton of stuff in the back. Tape, masking paper, fillers, paint mixing room, seam sealers, chemicals.

The O'reilly's I had in Iowa was a PBE location which was awesome, the ones out here are not and that sucks, because the only other thing I have is a Finishmaster and I don't like it. Couldn't even buy a Trizact disk there. Really?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
It *should* come with hardener that's usually a tube taped to the lid. However, anytime I've ever bought it I bought it from a local paint supply shop or O'reilly Auto Parts. O'reilly's actually carries a huge line of body supplies, it's just not something they stock in the store; I've seen their PBE catalog, it looked about 1/2" thick. You have to ask if they are one of the PBE stores (and not all are). But if they are, they have a ton of stuff in the back. Tape, masking paper, fillers, paint mixing room, seam sealers, chemicals.

The O'reilly's I had in Iowa was a PBE location which was awesome, the ones out here are not and that sucks, because the only other thing I have is a Finishmaster and I don't like it. Couldn't even buy a Trizact disk there. Really?
Thanks Lizer. Unfortunately, there's no O'reilly in my area.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Not even a paint and body supplier? Just ask the seller on amazon if they are including a hardener before you buy.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in