Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   I'm thinking this guy has some manly issues... (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/im-thinking-guy-has-some-manly-issues-315994.html)

MARTINSR 08-01-2014 01:24 PM

I'm thinking this guy has some manly issues...

Just saying....

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps25d56fdd.jpg

Brian

joe_padavano 08-02-2014 09:17 AM

Does this box come with one of those rolling ladders on a track, like they have in bookstores?

ogre 08-02-2014 10:10 AM

probably 8 tools per drawer...
most people i know with $12,000 boxes have more paperwork or parts in their boxes than tools

MARTINSR 08-02-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogre (Post 2512122)
probably 8 tools per drawer...
most people i know with $12,000 boxes have more paperwork or parts in their boxes than tools

I had a boss with a huge box at the last shop, no kidding there were drawers with ONE tool sitting in them that would roll around when you opened the drawer.

I know one that bought his box many years ago and it was $8500, yet he has Harbor Freight tools in it. Don't get me wrong, he has a few quality stuff but most is HF, just why would someone do this?

I understand there IS a "Professional tech" unwritten rule you HAVE to have a quality box like SnapOn or Mac. I understand this, now with some very nice boxes out there made by others it's unfair, but it still stands, the unwritten rule still stands. But you don't need a giant box, you just don't. I worked for years with a box that isn't much bigger than what a lot of guys have for their "go to box" that they roll around the shop leaving their monster up against the wall. I got by with that smaller one rolling it out into the parking lot and all.....FULL of ONLY the tools I needed, no SAE (at work) no plannishing hammer, ONLY the tools I needed to do my job. No broken tools, no duplicates, just the tools needed for the job and with that, my little box Mac 1100 was plenty big.

I paid about $1200 for it around 1990 and I just saw a used one on the back of the SnapOn truck (a trade in) for $2000!:pain:

But really, I just don't get it. I am sure there ARE some guys who really do need a big box, there are jobs were you DO need to have all the SAE and Metric tools and that Plannishing hammer and you need a big box. But I have never seen it, it's just an incredible waste of money if you ask me. This guys box in this magazine, DAMN I wish I had the money that thing cost! I could LITERALLY double the size of my garage! NO JOKE!

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps231fadbf.jpg

1971BB427 08-02-2014 10:58 AM

Can't imagine how any tool box that was higher than my shoulders wouldn't end up being a total pain to work out of? Besides, that tool box is way too clean to ever really be used! Looks more like a publicity stunt, than something he uses.
I have numerous smaller boxes, plus a roll around with the open bottom shelf for parts. I've always preferred multiple tool boxes over those monster single boxes that take a forklift, or a small crew to move around!

MARTINSR 08-02-2014 11:03 AM

I remember back years ago my brother was at one of his first jobs at a dealership. There was a guy with a three high "Mechanics box" and he was up on a step stool getting something out of a top drawer when the box rolled backwards and hit a railing with the top boxes falling off down into the grease pit below. YEOW!

Brian

1971BB427 08-02-2014 11:09 AM

When I worked at the local Cadillac dealership, there wasn't a guy there who had a tool box over 36" wide. Very few had more than one box also. All the pros' boxes were stuffed with tools, and of course everyone had Snap On, and Snap On tools.
As you mentioned before, there's a lot of peer pressure in a garage to buy tools from the truck that drives up to the door. Never had the other tool trucks back then, so Snap On was the only game in town. He also carried Kennedy tool boxes for their "economy" line, and that's what I had back then.

MARTINSR 08-02-2014 11:12 AM

My dad was a Snap On dealer around 1950! Check out how few tools there were on the truck.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps905ddbdf.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa4b3fffe.jpg

Brian

1969NovaSS 08-02-2014 12:49 PM

Working as a mechanic at a Ford dealership for the last 9 years I guess I have a "big box" compared to some of you but it also has to double as my workbench and is long and deep but only 48" high. But that box is just stupid and pretty useless. Not to mention it looks like it has a snap on decal so I have to say its probably close to 60k just for the boxes as I priced a triple bay bottom with a top box and a full size locker and it was 20k. And he has two of them in that setup.

MARTINSR 08-02-2014 02:16 PM

Like I said, there ARE some people with a use for a large box. The one in this photo, come on, it's a collision shop for goodness sakes. I work at one who does close to 4 million a year in sales, we typically have 50 cars on the lot any given day and I am pretty certain we could put EVERY tool in the entire shop, all 6 techs, all of their tools AND the shop tools, every single one of them in this box!
The painters and preppers each have a box, you could put all their stuff, all the paint guns, every single tool in the entire shop! Heck, you could put all the computers, all the brooms and dust pans, you could darn near put the friggin frame rack and alignment rack in that box! LOLOL
Come on now.

Brian

deadbodyman 08-03-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 2512170)
I had a boss with a huge box at the last shop, no kidding there were drawers with ONE tool sitting in them that would roll around when you opened the drawer.

I know one that bought his box many years ago and it was $8500, yet he has Harbor Freight tools in it. Don't get me wrong, he has a few quality stuff but most is HF, just why would someone do this?

I understand there IS a "Professional tech" unwritten rule you HAVE to have a quality box like SnapOn or Mac. I understand this, now with some very nice boxes out there made by others it's unfair, but it still stands, the unwritten rule still stands. But you don't need a giant box, you just don't. I worked for years with a box that isn't much bigger than what a lot of guys have for their "go to box" that they roll around the shop leaving their monster up against the wall. I got by with that smaller one rolling it out into the parking lot and all.....FULL of ONLY the tools I needed, no SAE (at work) no plannishing hammer, ONLY the tools I needed to do my job. No broken tools, no duplicates, just the tools needed for the job and with that, my little box Mac 1100 was plenty big.

I paid about $1200 for it around 1990 and I just saw a used one on the back of the SnapOn truck (a trade in) for $2000!:pain:

But really, I just don't get it. I am sure there ARE some guys who really do need a big box, there are jobs were you DO need to have all the SAE and Metric tools and that Plannishing hammer and you need a big box. But I have never seen it, it's just an incredible waste of money if you ask me. This guys box in this magazine, DAMN I wish I had the money that thing cost! I could LITERALLY double the size of my garage! NO JOKE!

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps231fadbf.jpg

I really like that deaw at the bottom ,I'll be stealing that idea for sure.:thumbup::thumbup:

deadbodyman 08-03-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS (Post 2512426)
Working as a mechanic at a Ford dealership for the last 9 years I guess I have a "big box" compared to some of you but it also has to double as my workbench and is long and deep but only 48" high. But that box is just stupid and pretty useless. Not to mention it looks like it has a snap on decal so I have to say its probably close to 60k just for the boxes as I priced a triple bay bottom with a top box and a full size locker and it was 20k. And he has two of them in that setup.

I'd rather buy a shop for that kind of money...:mwink:

MARTINSR 08-03-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 2513530)
I really like that deaw at the bottom ,I'll be stealing that idea for sure.:thumbup::thumbup:

Mike, I thought I was going to have a link for you and I searched and searched and I can't find one on the market! This was an accessory I bought from Northern Tools or Autobody Toolmart or something, but I will be damned if I can find ANYTHING on it now for you.
It was an universal accessory that bolted in under any box. I bought a can of paint from my Mac dealer and painted the handle to match my box. I can't believe I can't find a darn thing on it. It was called a "basement" drawer or something like that as I remember.

It's great because it fills in a seriously waste of space down there. I have never went four wheeling so there may be a shop that the loss of ground clearance could be an issue but I have never had one single problem with it.

Brian

LATECH 08-03-2014 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I currently have the smallest box in the dealership where I work also.
As Ogre said....big boxes at the shop have drawers with only papers and junk in them.
I have a Matco (waterloo) , (see picture) and it is a bottom roller with a full length top drawers and big and small drawers under it side by side.
It is chocked full of tools.90 % snap on because there product works.I also have 8-9 other plastic carry boxes that are not in the box, and a lot of other carry boxes in the tool box. Since the picture I have added a upper shelf with light,power strip, a few charger stands, my scanner satys up there etc.

I could use a bigger box.
I have tools at home, like my sawzall and grinders and other stuff I would like to have at work.I just don't have the secure place to put them.
Did I mention I need a bigger box?
I like this box however...as it fits in the back of my pickup (just barely) cross ways between the rails( against the back of the cab which leave plenty of room for other stuff).I have hauled it cross country a few times.

MARTINSR 08-03-2014 11:01 AM

The thing is DO you need a bigger box? Go thru every drawer and look for stuff you haven't used in a year and bring them home. You will very likely see you have a bunch of new space.

It's so funny, back a year or so ago the tool guys came in and had a price war on those little roll around boxes. Something like this..

http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1216528137

EVERY single guy in the shop got one! Now, the funny part, they now hardly ever go to their "Condo" tool box! LOLOL they put all the tools they REALLY use in this little roll around the shop, they roll across the shop to the frame rack and stuff like that. But they put all the stuff the REALLY use daily in it and the big box sits there covered with dust and hardly gotten into!

I set up drawers with tools laid out in them and put the most used in the top drawer, second most in the second drawer and so on. I then worked out of the box and moved things around that I found I used more or less according to this plan. I found that a LOT of tools I first put up in the most used didn't get used at all. I am amazed at a few like like the great little offset screwdriverratchet things that I loved so much, they are in the top drawer still today just because I don't feel like changing it being I don't work out of the box every day anymore. But there they are, I THOUGHT I needed them, I VERY seldom do and they should be in the very bottom in the "MUST have but used very rarely" tray. If you start looking at it honestly and leaving all the SAE at home for instance (1/4" and 5/16"are the only two you will ever run into that you can't use a metric on anyway) unless you are doing serious stuff like suspension where you MUST have the right tool for proper torque and all, if you are working on cars made after 1977 you don't need a single SAE tool, yet I see guys with those tools in their roll around cart! Why in the world would a guy have a dual SAE and Metric socket set in this roll around cart, that is taking up space for a tool that he REALLY would use. I got it down, I got it down to JUST the tools I needed every day, and it sure doesn't take a big box! We are talking doing full on body work, replacing quarters and floors and frame rails, doing all the body work, replacing suspension parts, radiators, wiring, glass, doing every single thing needed in the shop, one little roll around box is all it took.

I was just honest with myself, what I didn't REALLY need, went home. I did have one cabinet up on the wall with a few big tools like an 8" Makita grinder and a coil spring compressor and my mig helmet, but other than that, it was ALL in my little box I could roll out in the parking lot and often did.

Brian