Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Importance of treating hood and trunk braces
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Importance of treating hood and trunk braces

14 years ago I painted a 55 Chevy hardtop The entire car was primed with Mastercoat Permanent rust sealer,DuPont fill and sand,And Centari.I never really finished painting the car, I put some color on it to see where I was at but I drove for 14 years. I noticed a small bubble at the bottom seam of the trunk.This is usually the first place that paint jobs go bad. I had treated the seam when I first painted the car. Upon closer examination the bubble was about an inch above the seam, I never bothered to spray up inside the braces. When we cut it out. I was surprised on how much rust was in there. I guess I was in a hurry. Were my treatment ended. The rust began. There is also a bubble under the brace on the hood.So now remove the trunk and hood. This is how I treat them. Turn them both upside down and flood them with a good phosphoric acid rust remover like ospho, rust mort or my favorite master coat.After the rust is been treated somewhat dissolved I'll let it dry out and then spray the mastercoat sealer with a want sprayer. Hopefully this will go another 14 years.For you nonbelievers you can use your epoxy primer too or Corroseal, Anything is better than nothing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	610.5 KB
ID:	177402   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoode brace 012.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	177418   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoode brace 011.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	177426  

Last edited by Pats55; 09-26-2014 at 11:35 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pats55 For This Useful Post:
cerial (10-20-2017), John long (10-16-2017)