Insane idea for a frame? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2020, 03:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Insane idea for a frame?

Hello people,

I'm a very beginner and forgive my dumb question.

I'm starting to get some info about to build a car looking like a Indy racing car from the 60's. I was wondering if I can use a small pickup truck frame and modified it. How bad is that? Thank you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Welcome.....The Indy cars are quite narrow. I think by the time you modified that truck frame. it would be easier to build one from scratch.
The Following User Says Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
Robbyvenetian (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 04:17 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,744 Times in 3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Welcome.....The Indy cars are quite narrow. I think by the time you modified that truck frame. it would be easier to build one from scratch.
I agree...and any stock truck front suspension is going to have a tough time getting lowered enough and still have even poor to fair suspension and steering geometry....on top of the fact the truck suspension looks like A Z Z out in the open. Ugly when exposed.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:

Old 01-04-2020, 06:07 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

Mazda pickup

The mid 80's Mazda pickups have a torsion bar front suspension and you could narrow the front cross member and steering linkage. Use some 2 X 3 Rec tubing 1'/8 wall. an 80's supra IRS . 4 Cyl performance engine. mounted in the middle. In the mid 80's I bought a Malibu Grand Prix body from Atari. It was used as a show display for their racing video games. I bought a wrecked. (an easy roll over) V W square back and cut out the front and rear cross members and used 2 X 2 .188 wall main rails. 1600 pancake engine. I had an electrical contractor bend some heavy wall tubing for a roll bar and rear flat U for an engine support' It was too heavy in the rear but it was a lot faster than the ones on the tracks.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E281188C&&FORM
I don't know tye years but the supra had the upper A arm suspension that would easily mount to your frame rails and you could find shorter drive axles or narrow them
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...m_3xcpfHYXBUWU

Last edited by timothale; 01-04-2020 at 06:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 PM

Thank you all guys! I appreciate your help!
Old 01-04-2020, 08:49 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 3,074 Times in 2,296 Posts
I learned most of what I know about steering and suspension from a fellow named Carroll Smith. He was the crew chief for Ford Motor Company when they went to Le Mans in 1965 and whipped Ferrari. Carroll wrote several books, but the one that did it for me was Tune To Win. I think if you get your mind wrapped around what Mr. Smith had to say in that one book, you can build your own car from raw materials. https://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-scie...s=books&sr=1-1
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I learned most of what I know about steering and suspension from a fellow named Carroll Smith. He was the crew chief for Ford Motor Company when they went to Le Mans in 1965 and whipped Ferrari. Carroll wrote several books, but the one that did it for me was Tune To Win. I think if you get your mind wrapped around what Mr. Smith had to say in that one book, you can build your own car from raw materials. https://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-scie...s=books&sr=1-1
Thank you very much!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:38 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

bruce cambern cobra.

A old friend from when I was and engineer at ford. is Bruce Cambern he retired as head of Ford racing and after he retired made his Cobra even faster. H spent a lot of sunday afternoons using the Ford suspension computers to redesign his Cobra. I think he is the last living original buyer of a cobra.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...194B13CCEC&FOR
Old 01-04-2020, 10:15 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,744 Times in 3,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
A old friend from when I was and engineer at ford. is Bruce Cambern he retired as head of Ford racing and after he retired made his Cobra even faster. H spent a lot of sunday afternoons using the Ford suspension computers to redesign his Cobra. I think he is the last living original buyer of a cobra.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...194B13CCEC&FOR
Musician Herbie Hancock still has the 289 Cobra he bought new.
.He was on Jay Leno's Garage TV show driving it while being interview and told the neat story.
He is African-American if you don't know who he is...it helps to paint the picture of his story.
He saw it in the showroom, went in to look at it and ask about it.... the salesman took one look at him and said "You can't afford it". Pissed Hancock off, he took his first recording artist royalty check and bought it , used it as his daily driver for several years.
He recently just had is restored, still street drives it fairly often.

Just a bit of fun, unrelated to the thread info
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
Bob37pont (01-05-2020), Robbyvenetian (01-05-2020), timothale (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyvenetian View Post
Hello people,

I'm a very beginner and forgive my dumb question.

I'm starting to get some info about to build a car looking like a Indy racing car from the 60's. I was wondering if I can use a small pickup truck frame and modified it. How bad is that? Thank you!
I have this on my bucket list.

800lbs.
That is your goal.
800lbs without you in the thing.

Forget truck anything you need to think small.

Take a 2wd quad and widen the frame. You will be using both the quad brakes, rack, and rear axle. There are tons of "slicks" out thanks to the side by side racing scene. Weld up a headache hoop (fuel tank) have the engine right behind the fuel tank with a small belt running to the sprocket.

Transverse rear leaf if you decide on IRS or swing arm if you decide to keep the axle solid. Comes down to what quad you start with. I would go solid just to keep things simple. The short track width and light weight will allow for enough play to corner easily once you get use to it. Having a solid rear axle also allows for you to easily scale that for the additional horsepower.

Smashed/salvage crotch rocket (still running) for the entire fuel injected engine/transmission and all your electronics. Something popular yet new enough to have good power and parts availability.

Perfect? Not at all.
But it will corner like accelerate fast enough to make things pucker while not breaking the bank at around 4-6k invested.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-07-2020), Robbyvenetian (01-05-2020), techinspector1 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:21 AM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 3,074 Times in 2,296 Posts
Extraordinary idea cerial, thanks for that.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:01 PM

There's a racing class here in Australia for HQ Holdens...

These were 1970-73 sedans with the 3.3-litre inline six, like a small 250 Chevy, 3-speed transmission and live rear axle.

But some felt that it was all getting boring so they started to build sports cars with all the components out of the sedans. Live rear axle, which got some 4-link and coilover treatment, wishbone front end and spaceframe chassis with the driver offset to the right.

Then they made a fibreglass body very similar to the late fifties/early sixties Indy roadsters, they look great, were simple to build and cheap to run.

Look at the frame as a spaceframe in the ilk of a Lotus 7. Or do the frame as a twin-tube with either round or rectangular tube and subframes to hold it all together and bolt bits to. This might seem out on a limb, but look at Jaguars for front suspension components which are easy to mount on fabricated frames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Bell For This Useful Post:
Robbyvenetian (01-10-2020)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in