John Deere Blitz Black?? - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 04:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I decided that the old dump runner f250 would look nice in a fresh coat of flat black, so she's ready for the Blitz Black treatment.
I am confused with the primer, the JD buff that is recommended. It says to wait 36 hours to topcoat with the blitz black. Does this mean it has to be sanded? Or will the BB adhere to the primer without sanding?The body doesn't need to be perfect. I just want the paint to stick, they dont give out awards for best paint at the dump

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 05:53 PM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Wiki Edits: 4

Re: 79 Chevy truck in Blitz Black

Quote:
Originally posted by MCH
Well this is my first crack at using the JD Blitz Black. I'm relatively pleased with the result. Much to learn yet, though. As this is a varily rough truck it turned out good. Hopefully the on going rust problems will eventually dissappate. By then I should have the technique pat.

That looks awesome!!! did you primer the car before or did you just shoot on JD blitz black? Also did you use a flat clear or is that the natural color it came out??

Mike
Old 08-25-2004, 09:24 AM

I sanded the previous paint; which was Temclad (LOL). No primer. That is the look of JD Blitz Black; no other topcoat. The JD can be a little tricky to get on right. I have some striping of the hood. Oh well. The next time around it could be better.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:25 PM

Looky what I found

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...837309453&rd=1

Mike
Old 09-01-2004, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightfire
Looky what I found

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...837309453&rd=1

Mike
Read the description.

Quote:
You are bidding on (1) brand new can of John Deere BLITZ Black spray paint. John Deere part # TY25311. This is the official authentic Yellow color used on all John Deere equipment. 12 oz. Can.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:12 PM

Yeah but if you look at the picture you see the can has a flat black cap. I did read the description and thought they just made a mistake.
Also look at the pic and you'll see it says "blitz black" on it

Mike
Old 09-02-2004, 03:00 AM

After sitting here for about the last 45 minutes reading all 12 pages of this thread, I do have a question or 2.. What I am trying to accomplish is the top on my 83 K-5 Blazer, I pulled all the windows and tinted in double black, smoothed all the texture inside and out, then cleaned out all the old seam sealer and smoothed the seam in with fiberglass. The top will be a flat or satin black and this color is spot on in what I am looking for. Now per say i did get a run, can this be wet sanded without being real noticable?? or would I need to touch it up?? How is BB going to hold up on fiberglass?, being a removable top it will flex to an extent. The cost is a big factor here considering this is my daily driver, and it is used for camping, fishing, hunting, and just plain old fashioned wheelin. I have the body all finished in yellow but really want the top in this black.. Any replies are appriciated..

Thanks,

Eric
Old 09-02-2004, 09:29 AM

I don't think the BB stuff is sandable, however I am just starting to learn about it too. As for it being tough, I'm pretty sure it's mighty tough cause they put it on John Deere tractors.....

Again, don't listen to me, I'm just learing too.

Mike
Old 09-02-2004, 11:55 AM

One other thing,I was curious about the wash-ability of this paint.. I'll talk to Jim at Pape` equipment about a clear coat, with a flattening agent..
Old 09-02-2004, 01:50 PM

From what I hear JD BB doesnt turn chalky or soaks in oils and humidity. Basically it's just like a black base, flat clear.
If you put flat clear on BB I'd think the color would't change at all and it would defeat the purpose. JD BB naturally has the "suede" or "flat clear" look.

Mike
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM

Nightfire is right, I have never had a problem with mud or oil or even cow crap which is pretty corrosive to paint, ruining the paint, it washes back to new. Hasnt faded or turned chalky really either.

This is experience with nearly 30 year old tractors.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:33 AM

Well I got all my paint, prime and reducer today. For a gallon of each, JDBB, Buff primer, and reducer the grand total was $66.55 after tax and all. Gonna try to get to the fial pain next weekend, primer this weekend. If I like it, I may do the whole blaze in BB not just the top. I am taking pictures along the way so will post up when I am finished...(Literally)..
Old 09-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

All you guys suck. Why is it that when i need to look for something, its always on the first page i look at on this forum. You do not let us do any searching or research for our selves. DAMN...alleast make me search for something every once in a while. You make me sick-

I will be painting my 86 cutlass in this blitz black here in about a month, hope it looks good. i have never seen a g-body cutlass done this way. i have some surface rust, and am not ready to paint. the car sat for about 4-6 months and the sun got to it. so i will sand, take all chrome pieces off. and see how it looks in suede. i have some wheels from a late sixties model cutlass (15x8), will spray those also.

do yall think i should do the bumpers also, or do you think it would look OK with em chrome.

Also, what process would i have to go thru to get the bumper to accept this stuff? Would i have to strip the chrome off..
Old 09-10-2004, 05:20 PM

Don't paint those nice chrome bumpers!!!!!!!!!! Keep 'em chrome, they'll look awesome with suede black.
Also don't paint the wheels. Save up for some nice lowrider rims or cragar ss.

Mike
Old 09-10-2004, 05:53 PM
tryn to learn

if you ever see the show "flunk master flex ride with jesse james" or somthing like that it shows jesse james regal in BB or something close.
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in