John Deere Blitz Black?? - Page 14 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 01:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbshot.JPG
Views:	4956
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	5114  

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 06:02 AM

Chopper that looks awesome!! And thats without the hardener? and what was ur mix 8-1?? Also hows it holdin up?

Thanks for the replys...
Chris
Old 05-27-2005, 06:48 AM

The f250 has no hardener in it over the John Deer primer. It has spent the winter outside. The paint has came off the tailgate where the shovel has drug at least 12 yards of gravel accross it. I smacked the side of the bed with a one man rock and it knocked a chip off. Otherwise looking good, shows some scratches here and there. Nothing bad though.
I was undecided on the paint for the Nova so I shot it in BB. It has hardener, the Valspar,I think, stuff they sell right next to it at the JD dealership. I welded up the trim holes then sealed the car in some epoxy, then a little high build to smooth it out. I sprayed this during a cold snap this winter and relied on heaters to bring up the temp in the shop, but I think it cooled off once I started spraying. I had a hard time getting the paint to lay out on the Nova. I'm not sure if it was too cold, or improper technique. The Nova paint doesent seem that much harder from adding ther hardener.
The million dollar question.Would I do it again?
Depends. Low buck cars, or short term projects may see the blitz treatment.
My 66 Nova wagon will get flat clear. If I put the work into the body that pristine car deserves, I'll be sure to cover it with the best materials I can find. The wagon should be with me long term.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:58 AM

Well, I just read almost every post in this thread....I learned alot about this JD paint. I just finished using Valspar DTM black primer on the front panels of my 57' , and I used a PCL black primer on the rear quarters....I was told they would match up and look the same. WRONG! The PCL is ultra flat, not what I am going for. I definately want a little sheen to the black, so I may try more DTM or possibly this Blitz Black. For the price, I'll try to locate some and do some practice panels on some other projects.

Thanks for all the good info !

Jason
Old 06-20-2005, 01:29 PM

Blitz Black

I decided to paint my Harley with BB and got lucky my local dealer had the paint and primer in stock and had it in quarts. I'm glad I didn't have to buy the gallons. Will post pic when finish. About $16 for both. Not bad at all.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:27 PM

Last journal entry: finished

hey guys i thought i'd contribute my blitz black pictures to this thread. Thanks for all the great info from anyone who's replied in here, i read every post before i sprayed and it helped! it was easy to spray for anyone who's wondering, it was my first time painting and doing body work and it sprayed on fine with no runs or anything, i'm going to wetsand it in a few days and see how it turns out, i'll let you guys know! here's the pics, thanks again

here's a before picture

here's after jdbb

and here's one i'm particularly proud of
Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 AM
SteVe-O '66 Impala 383ci

Love this paint

When I get my 66 impala done its getting the BB treatment, love it.. MORE PICS!!!

-SteVe

Check out this website made for my friend
(hot rod dude from hell, he rocks):

HMS
Old 06-23-2005, 04:28 PM

Man that car looks great! Good job! I like the Chevy above the top here too, looks good with chrome wheels, trim, and bumpers. FlamedFordBronco, have you ever thought about suiciding those back doors of yours there? That would look really good on that car the way the back doors are shaped with the fronts. At least IMO it would but some people don't like suicide and that's fine too.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:31 PM

Almost forgot... How well has the peoples cars with BB in here held up over about 3 years? Anyone have theirs done and has had the same BB paint from 2-3 years ago? I hear that it will probably fade out and start looking like total crap when outside all the time and if it's not parked in the garage most of the days... I don't want it fading out bad on me and start chipping or flaking off.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:58 AM

Nice '57 Jason! That's what I'm talking about!
Mine is starting to fade unlike what they say but the flat and shiny chrome attracts people like flies.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:13 AM

hey smf speed and custom, thanks! actually, i have thought about suicide doors, i think it would look great too, i plan on doing that this winter once it gets too cold out to drive it i'll post pics when i do it
jc55 your car looks AWESOME. do you have air ride on it? that front end shot on page 6 is what made up my mind on the blitz black, good work!
as for the fading, how long did it take to fade? right now my car almost looks too shiny, i'm going to wetsand today and hopefully that'll flatten it a little, but how long have you had it on your car? thanks

-frank
Old 06-24-2005, 02:23 PM

Yup suicide will look awsome. Also yeah I have the same question, how long? Also will the wet sanding dull it any? I want it like a semi gloss black and not completely flat. And when you say it faded more to flat then did it give it a more of a chaulky looking flat black or just plain out flat? Hard to explain that one but you get what I mean I am sure.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:26 PM

hey guys,
alright today i tried wetsanding it, because the whole car was bumpy like one big giant orange peel, but i was told that it was normal since it's an enamel paint, just to wetsand it. But i wetsanded and it looks like crap, so i called a friend of mine who owns his own car shop and he told me it was so bumpy because i used an hvlp gun and it shoots the paint out in droplets, so it looks bumpy. How have you guys shot this stuff and made it look nice and smooth without wetsanding the heck out of the whole car? Also, just in case i can't get it to work out, how long should i wait before i recoat with a normal primer? I shot the car a little over two days ago and the paint didn't roll up or anything on me so it seems dry, but have you guys shot over it before? Thanks a bunch

~Frank~

it looked so good too
Old 06-24-2005, 02:33 PM

hey smf looks like we posted at the same time!
but, i wetsanded today and it did make it look less glossy, but it was really hard to sand down and then when it sanded enough to make it smooth (even though it still didn't look that good), there were spots that were sanded through. and i put a good 4 or 5 coats on to make sure that i didn't sand through. maybe it's just that i sprayed it wrong because the other cars in this thread look great, if anyone has any tips let me know!
Old 06-24-2005, 02:57 PM

haha Yeah looks like we did. Well good luck on your car man, I hope it turns out ok in the end. I am still waiting to paint some friends cars and get the body work done and when I get paid I am doing my truck. I am going to keep reading this thread and see how and what you did to make it look good. I don' want to lose all that glossyness to the paint though so not sure what I will do. I just hope I don't spend tons of hours on my body to make it straight and then paint it and this stuff fades out on me and looks like total crap in about 2 years. I would at least expect it to look somewhat decent for about 4-5 years.
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in