John Deere Blitz Black?? - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2004, 11:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

bb/vs epoxy primer

this is so cool that i found this thread, as i have been thinking of repaining my old jimmy in flat black, and possibly my 64chevelle, mainly because i think it looks mean, and i was told that i should do it in epoxy primer.

i thought the primer was a good idea because it is suposed to be very durable and i live in canada, everything rusts. plus, i thought if i painted the chevelle in the flat black primer, if i dont like it i could just give it a little wet sand and shoot it whatever colour i decide on.

how durable is this BB stuff?
how is it to paint over?
i know its a tractor paint, so i guess its pretty hard, but does anyone know how it might hold up in a salty, wet and flying stone abundant environment the chevelle will be stiped to metal, but i think i will leave most of the trucks paint, except for the bedsides, which need replacing or extensive patching.

so, ultamately, BB or epoxy primer?

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2004, 01:58 AM

JDBB vs epox primer

JDBB vs epox primer

JDbb will hold up to anything you throw at it. From salt to acid rain. It is harder than epox primer and more weather resistant.
JDBB is the way to go. At $22 a gallon you cant go wrong.

Cool?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:20 AM

Primer wont hold up to moisture like BB will. One winter up north here and the primer would have rust showin through.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 AM

i figgured that might be so, thx for clearin' that one up

well, my ride is definitly getin' BB'ed
Old 05-25-2004, 04:47 PM

jc55: your car is HOT!!
I've been following this thread for a while also.
My 32 Ford 5 window will have JDBB hopefully this summer. I will post pics.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:28 AM

Thanks '32. Also, thanks guys for the shooting tips.
Epoxy primer won't rust and will hold up just fine but it may fade from UV rays. It is not like regular primer. But then again it's about $120 more a gallon than BB.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:33 PM

Last journal entry: the goods

Quote:
Originally posted by jc55
I still struggle with the striping. For me, it's a something I may have to live with. I've never had this problem with chassis semi gloss black or flat black paint before. I'm just not ready to blame it on the JDBB. It may be my imagination but it seems that painting objects that are vertical have less striping that painting hroizontal ones...roofs verse quarters.

I was getting the stripes on my hood when I was spraying the Endura suede black on my truck. I solved the problem by removing the hood and shooting it separately. It went on a lot easier whit the hood sitting lower. It also isn't so hard to hold your gun at 90 degrees to the hood when it sits lower than your waist.

Last edited by dubie; 05-26-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:49 PM

now, how about this, i found a urathane chassis black that is suposed to be better. its a 2 part paint 1 part catalyst mixture and is suposed to be better and stronger then a "seasonal" paint such as JDBB, and it aint that much more $$

in the long term, would somthing like this be better and hold up longer? forget about the sweet price of JDBB for a moment

it came from a aerospace paint suply company
Old 05-27-2004, 07:01 AM

Last journal entry: the goods

Thats the same kind of paint I used on ym truck. You mix it as a 1:1 ratio of paint and catalyst then thin it down by 20% and shoot it on. It's supposed to withstand everything. I used the Endura brand industrial paint. Here is a webpage that shows how tough it is
http://www.endura.ca/why_choose.htm

And for a gallon of paint and a gallon of catalyst is cost me $200
Old 05-27-2004, 03:28 PM

paint

Hi I have been reading this with much interest as I have a couple old rides that I have been considering using flat black on --1953 ford f-100 and a 1930 studie---I don't know a lot about paint work even though I have sprayed a little paint in the pasted ,motorcycles and other small projects that came out ok. The one thing I thought I might bring up was cleaning the metal prior to sanding ,old wax and oils will sometimes get ground into the painted surface that you are going to use as a base for your new paint job .using a wax/oil remover prior to sanding can eliminate this problem.....
Old 05-28-2004, 12:02 PM

Seasonal JDBB??

Seasonal JDBB??

OK? Ya wanna explain this seasonal thing?
So... In the summer its ok to drive your car but in the winter your screwed because the paint is seasonal?
Really, who said this? Why would they think its seasonal?

JDBB held up in the "the weather room" where the worst type of hell was unleashed upon it. From acid rain to salts. Paints from A to Z were compared to BB, and BB came out on top. It wasn’t formulated for bling bling it was made for hard core industrial applications.

So for the price, formula, durability, ease of spray, JDBB is the best bet. We will NOT be able to out use it. We will be dirt nappin long before BB will fail.

Cool?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:13 PM

If anyone doubts BB, let me tell you, they paint the cabs of tractors, the parts that the tires run by, slinging mud and crap at. Well after nearly 30 years, the paint has never chipped, flaked, or rusted underneath.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:26 PM

Re: Seasonal JDBB??

Quote:
Originally posted by motoedge JDBB held up in the "the weather room" where the worst type of hell was unleashed upon it. From acid rain to salts. Paints from A to Z were compared to BB, and BB came out on top. It wasn’t formulated for bling bling it was made for hard core industrial applications.

So for the price, formula, durability, ease of spray, JDBB is the best bet. We will NOT be able to out use it. We will be dirt nappin long before BB will fail.

Cool? [/B]
Its amazing you think this paint is so great. The aircraft paint he was talking about is way more durable and 30 years ahead of the JD paint.
That so called "withstand anything Paint" Could never be used on an airplane as it won't stand up to the "skydrol test"
Use the JD for flat black applications as the flattener actually increases the durability of the paint.
Do you think John Deere makes this paint?
Sorry its nothing more than S&W alkyd enamel as nice as I can a very crap paint that the industry (automotive and manufactures) stop using in the in the 60's. This paint has a place, for tractor and equipment sprayers that want cheap only.

Quote:
Originally posted by motoedge
JDBB vs epox primer

JDbb will hold up to anything you throw at it. From salt to acid rain. It is harder than epox primer and more weather resistant.
JDBB is the way to go. At $22 a gallon you cant go wrong.

Cool?
You are totally wrong.
Epoxy after a 7 day cure with withstand things this paint could not think of- How about acetone, lacquer thinner, urethane reducer, dot3 brake fluid. This items will lift your enamel like paint stripper. Your statement its harder? Give me a break full cure on enamel is six months with a hardener with out years. FL #2 black box test- your green paint will lose 50% gloss in 6 months (industry standard test)
The only thing this will beat out epoxy is epoxy is not made for
a finale coat and has poor UV protection But its far Superior in EVERY other way.
Like I said earlier this paint is great to use as a flat black but none of the other colors have any place in automotive refinishing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[QUOTE]Originally posted by motoedge JDBB held up in the "the weather room" where the worst type of hell was unleashed upon it. From acid rain to salts. Paints from A to Z were compared to BB, and BB came out on top. It wasn’t formulated for bling bling it was made for hard core industrial applications.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What BS is this a weather room? I have been a in this business
for 30 years and know of no Paint Manufacturer that has a weather room. I want to see it!!! I might want to buy one! Where?
Also How did they dupicate acid rain?? Tell me more!
Salt spray tests are done in a water box,(an over grown fish tank) not room.
Good God!

Last edited by BarryK; 05-29-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:49 PM

BarryK

BarryK.
Tractors and cars cant fly. So I think they left BB out the airplane test. Aircraft have quite a bit more R&D $$$ to make better stuff. Tractors are well, tractors. I started this thread to find a cheap yet tough flat black paint. So what ever else is out there that may be better, well cool. And it most likely is $100+ a gallon. Most of us ARE looking for cheap yet tough paint.

As for "the weather room" it IS just a glorified fish tank.

So for all the haters of JDBB out there, to each his own.
Some want hundreds of dollars of bling, and others just need twenty bucks of tough stuff.

Cool?
Old 05-29-2004, 05:57 PM

Well thats all great, only reason I stepped in was you were starting to sound like a snake-oil salesman.
We can all have an opinion "I think this is the best"
Thats OK but when you start touting all the tests and other BS like your the chemist and this is fact, you need to back it up.

By the way that paint could never pass a skydrol test- its not possible.

How did we go from a weather room to a fish tank? Thats a big step, OH! I said that! Got it now!

Last edited by BarryK; 05-30-2004 at 04:18 AM.
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in