While checking the installment after the new firewall, I decided that in order to remove & install the engine / tranny combo and since it would probably happen by myself only, I would make a drop out center section of the tranny mount. This let's me go in with the combo at a steeper angle to the back and allows me to do it with the main part of the trans shifter mount attached already.
Pulled the engine & trannny out for the umpteenth time. First time I've used these clamps to hold a piece in place like this. Really cool! Weld it in, doesn't have to be fancy but will probably show for a while until everything is checked out operational wise. Put the engine & tranny back in to check for fit and install clearances.
Made a cardboard template and checked for fit. Then used the cardboard template to make a pattern out of thin styrofoam (sp?) posterboard to make sure it would fit in the cutout. I transferred the pattern to a sheet of steel a little bit thicker than the original firewall, (after all, there will be more going on and thru this one). Checked for fit.
2 more pics of how the access panel turned out under the tank. Look at that firewall, this will not do at all. Even though the final plan includes a polished aluminum panel for the front side of the firewall, I would know what was behind there. Time for a change!.
Started putting together a plan for the fuel tank & battery areas. Wanted an access panel for a fuel shutoff & changing the gas filter under the tank when all of the flooring panels are in. Going to put a bulkhead fitting to make the transition from the underside of the center panel to under the tank.