Below will be some pics of the before, during and aftermath of me fixing my fender. I'm hoping it turns out well. Hopefully I will figure how to annotate the story as it goes along so you can get all the info I mean to portray. Thanks for checking it out and please feel free to comment/email me. Many of you have already helped before I got this underway.
Below is the truck as it sat in Colorado, prior to me purchasing it blind off of ebay... I did arrive 2 weeks later, so there are nice people out there (bought from bigkahunaaj off ebay, he always has something to sell and specializes in rebuilding old carbs)
While I was very please with the truck, I knew that it had paint mumps. As some had read in previous posts, I tried to put after market fenders on her, but they did not fit. So it was time to see what lie beneath the paint... this is the drivers side rear portion. I already cut out some of the rust. The paint was holding it together.
These three fotos show the front eyebrow of the fender. Lots of pin holes on the front portion and the metal has thinned.
2nd foto shows the replacement metal I made up after making a paper template, then hammering, tapping, shrinking, stretching it up using various pro jigs like my socket set for getting a proper top curve, and the head of a small ballpeen hammer for the main curve.
3rd foto shows the replacement metal away from the fender, just to show it off some.
This is the inside corner, you can see the previous persons handy work. As is the case with other parts of the truck. He/She/They lapped replacement metal on top and then caked on the bondo! I cut thru the welds on this patch not knowing the damage underneath. The patches were in good shape, but the underlying metal continued to rust and allow moisture to get up into the bondo and "mump" the paint.
this is where the bondo was REAL thick. A half inch by my calculations. Similar to the inside upper corner, all the body lines were fixed using bondo. The metal did not even mimic it in any way. I have purchased the replacement aftermarket metal for this. And it does match up. It will not cover the entire patch. I guess I have to fix this patch partly and then add the lower section. I am trying to make the parts before I lose any valuable guidelines. At least I did know the fenders had good fit prior to taking them off.