Well finally on the way to making some dust..and sparks..here are some pics of the chassis mock-up which I did so I could see any points of which I woudl need to work around..Since this is a backyard sort of deal and I am keeping the machine work to a minimum I will be working around problem areas rather than fighting them..
I set my front crossmember in place and blocked it to ride height..First I drew a center lime on the assembly bench and then two more lined at where the centers of the front and rear axles go so I have something to go by as far as getting the chassis square and on center..
Once the axles are blocked into place I cut some steel for my frame rails and laid them in so I coudl get an idea of how that is going to go..
As you can see the frame is narrow at the rear and there is no room for the driveshaft..I will have to make that wider in that area..
Finally got back to my project...Got some other pressing chores out of the way..Finished stripping the parts off of the van and now..next week should have parts on the assembly jig..Pictures to come when I get some ....I think the best way for me to go is to buidl the chassis Imca style..still stuck there but tha tis not a bad way to go..makes a strong stiff chassis that does not weigh too much..
Got my welding bench/chassis jig done..in the first picture you may see the leveling jacks on each corner of the bench..this allows me to level the bench very well..within about 0.030" of tolerance..
The second picture shows layout of chassis..the blue lines represent where the frame rails will go and I have marked the centerline of the axles front and rear so those will be square to the centerline..as I complete the layout the location of the motor mounts and cross members will be laid in and verified so the chassis comes out square and on center..
This is doing things the old way on a full size layout bench... all the welding will take place on the bench..Doing things this way allow the frame to be built accurately..the pros use a chassis plate which is steel and very similar to this..
well went over and got the van ..a bit of starter fluid and it started right up..not bad after setting for 2 years..of course niothing else works..no turn signals..tranny makes a big noise when putting it into park or neutral..never seen that one before..later this week start stripping it out..I think I can even use the buckets from the van..they badly need recovering but hey I own them..
Have to see about the tranny..
I think I am going to keep this project as simple as I can..using as much as I can out of the van..
I found a Ford Van with a newly rebuilt 351W in it..has a C-6 and a 9"..I went for it as the price was very right..guees it will be on to some serious fabricating in the very near future..have to rework the plan a bit bu ttha tis the way life works sometimes..Pics still to come..