Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: OneMoreTime's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View OneMoreTime's profile Entries: 30
Views: 29670
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

09-07-2004 10:59 PM Done stripping
The chassis is now completely bare..finally..about 80 hours in dismantling all the pieces..from now on it is forward progress..

Next to build the chassis work table..hope to have pictures of that soon..gotta have a nice level place to jig up the chassis so it goes together straight..

Did some measuring and it looks like I will Z the chassis to get it down to the ride height that I want..as it sets I am about 5-6 inches higher than what I am shooting for..

When I get the chassis on th ejig then I can make the measurements to see what I need to do..

[Entry #10]

09-05-2004 09:08 PM Compressor fix
Found that my little compressor did not quite have enough output to run my air tools as well as I liked..soo I found another 11 gal air tank on sale and installed that inline...Fixed the problem..with the extra air reserve I can now run my air tools just fine..

Finished stripping the front end and now can go to the rear..

Also found some 3/4 ply for my bench for cheap and now have that..onwards and upwards things seem to be going fine..Need to look into a digicam that would save the trips to the developers..and then would have pics..

Have been working on design ideas and the project seems to be coming together..At least in the idea and plans dept..

[Entry #9]

08-29-2004 11:34 PM Front end Pieces
Just hope I can remember where it all goes back..pulling all the parts off of the front end today..Found out where all the weight on one of these is..

The stock iron calipers..rotors..not to mention the A-arms..steering box and what ever else are all steel forgings and heavy..Oh well..can make it lighter but that will be costly and get away from what I am trying to do..that is build a car and not bend the budget too bad..Thanks for donor cars as that helps a bunch..That and some creativity..

The weight of the chassis itself does not seem to be all that bad..and it is stiff as it is which is good..with the roll cage and bracing it should be fine..

Once all the parts are pulled then it will be time to start cleaning and painting all the pieces and make ready to re-assemble..i am fortunate in that all the pieces look good and will not need a lot of rebuild to make it work..heavens even the brake pads have life in them..

For now ost of the work is the standard remove clean and paint..I will forgo the powder coat deal as when I checked there are not any suppiers of that around here that I can find and the ones I did find are very spendy...

I think I will put aside funds for getting lighter suspension componets in the future..but for now carry on and get some forward progress..Grinn..

[Entry #8]

08-28-2004 12:04 AM Engine and trans
Pulled them today and now that I can see the casting numbers I now know I have a 307 with the hydraulic roller cam..Not a high performance number but should work ok in a lite car..Since economy of construction is a big deal on this project I will use it until something better comes along..Was also given an 85 s-10 4wd parts truck today..that will help things to have that parts bin accessable..

Next step is to clean the cahssis parts and get them painted and ready to go back together..Next month I should have my chassis rack built and ready to go..

[Entry #7]

08-10-2004 08:59 PM 1954 Kurtis 500S
This is the goal to have a replica..well close anyway of this car..always loved the roadster..The originals had a Caddy engine and were built by Frank Kurtis who built a lot of the Indy cars in the 50's

Got the picture from one of the car shows..Grinn..

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 [5] 6