Small updates this weekend- I trimmed my cowl to fit a little better, and started messing around with my dashboard. I gutted the HVAC controller and made a block off plate behind it for the levers, so I can install the facing onto the dash without the dead weight of the cable controls behind it. I also couldn't find my glovebox door. Maybe I never had one, I don't remember. So I took this as a sign that I should build something better than making or buying a glovebox door- a place for gauges and toggle switches. In typical fashion, I forgot to take pics until I was part way along, so you'll have to imagine what a dashboard with the ash tray frame cut away looks like, ha ha. Beyond that, the pics tell the story. I did break out my computer to make a quick template, sometimes it's just easier this way. The mounting screws will eventually be allen socket caps to match the ones on the trans tunnel.
Next I made some panels for the cowl. this is to give some reinforcement where I have my spring loaded levers as I've noticed that over time these are starting to bow in this area. hopefully the metal will be enough. I used some 2 part automotive panel bonding epoxy I had laying around as well. Lastly, were some better mounting brackets for my front turn signals. I never liked the ones I made previously, and thought I could do a little better. So I made a set that should hopefully look more like the ones for my headlights.
This weekend, I built the upper front shock mounts, added some reinforcing metal panels on the cowl and built a better set of supports for my front marker lights. Sometimes I get into a groove and then realize I should have stopped to take more pics. This was one of those times, so not many pics exist of the upper mounts, but I made them in a similar fashion as I did the lower mounts- cut 4x pieces (the front two are mirrored and the rear two are mirrored) and used a pre purchased "pro fab" metal bracket I had laying around. Once the trapezoid box frame was made I then cut out another cardboard template to fit the inside area to box it - kinda like an I beam in cross section.
Today I redesigned and finished up the lower shock mounts in front. I'm kinda happy with how these came out, especially considering they are all hand cut, hand files. The bolts fit nice and snug, too. I also stepped up and bought some AN bolts for this, too.
It's times like this I wish I had a water jet cutter and the ability to program it, ha ha. I know I could make all sorts of cool parts with them.