Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: tuske427's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View tuske427's profile Entries: 428
Views: 120009
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (86): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

07-05-2017 12:03 AM Front clip helper hinges- because I don't have a better name
Happy 4th, everyone! This weekend I spent some time figuring out how I'd solve the rubbing of the front clip against the door. At first I was thinking about using the compression springs that are typically used behind a door handle or window crank, but that would only push the ends of the clip outward. That wouldn't really help me as I'm lifting or lowering the clip- which is where the rubbing occurs. My next thought was using a torsion coil spring, but that didn't work as hoped, however, I knew I was on the right path. I ended up using some door hinges and bent them into a radiused shape that would be strong enough to guide the clip out as it approached the doors, and would be soft enough to compress when the clip was pinned down. It took a few tries with the location and tuning the spring pressure, and now I have a solution that works well and I'm quite happy with. Of course, the paint will eventually rub off the hinges, and I can live with that. If not, one option is to add some delrin material to act as a slider in this area. The pics should help explain, and I'm thinking of making a youtube video.

I filled in a few holes on the driver side that I had drilled out in creating this, and took the time to fill in the holes at the top of the cowl area on each side. I also discovered that my driver door is actually warped in the front corner. It sticks out, and I'll have to cut the door and reglue it to fix this.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #368]

06-25-2017 09:21 PM 'glassing the hood
Last weekend I glued the metal tubing to the hood with some epoxy like liquid nails caulk. This was only intended to be enough to hold the frame in place and fill in the gaps while I glass it to the underside, which I did earlier today. It was really my first fiberglass attempt, and aside from a local college class I took last summer about composite fabrication, I've never worked with fiberglass before. I guess it came out OK. I'll let it cure this week and hopefully sand it down next weekend and then start working on making some type of stopper, as well as mounting the pins and anything else needed.

Btw, it was rather hot out here today. It's days like these I really appreciate having a fridge in the garage filled with icy cold beverages to keep me refreshed and hydrated while I work


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #367]

06-11-2017 10:19 PM tilt hood frame 2
More progress made on the tilt hood frame. I made an open area in the middle in case the future engine, whatever it may be, requires the space.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #366]

06-04-2017 11:35 PM tilt hood frame 1
Started to build the frame for under the front end for the tilting hood. It's only tacked together, and I'm thinking I should spend the time now to build this frame in a way that leaves me the option to cut a hole in the hood, just in case some future engine component needs to stick up through the hood ...

I did weld in a tube through the frame for strength, and after bending the two main bars I cut them and added a sleeve in one section. This allowed me to easily rotate them to taper outwards. I find this easier than trying to mirror a torquing bend in the tubing.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #365]

01-16-2017 10:12 PM fiberglass doors 2
more pics showing the end result of the pass door hinge modification and the improved fit of the door. I also added the rear emblem frame on the trunk panel a la the 2lbt '55.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #364]

Pages (86): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.