Minor updates here, especially compared to a few weeks back, I am working on fitting the fiberglass doors that came with my car. The passenger side took re-engineering the hinges (they wouldn't move far enough inwards) to get the pass door to sit close to the body. It also didn't move up high enough to get the front part of the door to line up with the details in the car body. The driver side wasn't as bad, but the bottom side is in too far. This could be due to the fiberglass door not being accurate, but my rocker panel has waves in it, too. I think it'll be easiest for me to revise the lower hinge which will also help the top part of the door tuck in more (currently this area sticks out a bit) and then to massage the body for any further fine tuning. Once I'm happy with this I'll get the front clip lined up and work on making the hinge/ frame assembly for that to make a tilt hood.
Today I finished up the rear mounts for the leaf springs. I'm fairly confident- well, as much as I can be having never built a gasser before, and not having an engine in this, and nothing around to simulate the weight of an engine I don't have or even know what I'm going to purchase- that the rear mounts will be OK like this. I can raise or lower the front ones to fine tune my ride height, as well as add or reduce shims for the axle itself to set my caster angle. Once the engine is in then I can figure out the steering box placement.
Quick updates from today- I rebuilt the leaf springs by replacing the bushings and threaded sleeves, and bought new fasteners for them , as well as cleaned up the shackles. I got really lucky with my purchase of the old truck front end as it wasn't rusty, and the seller included the pieces to rebuild them. I'm using as much of the OEM pieces as I can as they seem fine, they have grease fittings, and I already have them (meaning less money spent on new bolts). I also mocked up the front spring mounts, tacked them in place, and started on the rear mounts. My goal is to get these done and tacked on the car so the springs can hang before I have to pick it all up.
The vertical bars clamped on the frame is just for measuring purposes.
Today I finished up the inner bracing, which is just a couple of plates to help laminate the metal. It's plug welded as well as around to perimeter, and this should complete the frame reinforcement. I also added the metal in front closing off the ends of the frame rails, making sure I welded all the way through to make sure I had enough material to safely radius the edges. Included is one pic showing material that went through.
Next I'll start mocking up the front suspension. This will only be tacked in place as I have no idea where the car will sit without the drivetrain yet, but I need to start somewhere, and with this on at least I'll have the possibility of rolling the car on its own.