This weekend I installed the passenger side tub. This included trimming it to fit, making some flanges from scratch and welding it all up. I also started on making another flange to help clean the edges of the interior to the wheel tub itself. The previous owner removed too much material so I figure this will be quicker/ easier than trying to patch material back in to make it flush, and the looks will be comparable once the car is back together. Though I will be making some patches anyway as there are areas that have so much material removed that my flange would otherwise have gaps if I don't fill them in. at least this way it's a quick n easy patch...
This weekend I rough cut the rear wheel openings out, which makes the car look so much better, imo, and I mocked up a tire out of cardboard and a sharpie. I also started to trim out the passenger side area of the trunk, made some more flanges for mounting the pass side tub and will install that next time I get back to this.
The wheel tub is installed, and I noticed the area below the taillight is misaligned. a previous owner installed sections of the quarter panel and must have botched this. So I cut a section and realigned it. Since I'm making a ratty gasser doing this is adequate. I also needed to make a small patch at the top
Look like I'm overdue for some updates. I've just been chipping away at it here and there. These pics show the process of getting the trunk floor cleaned up and the driver side wheel tub installed. I made some flanges so I'd have a place of attaching them to. The compound flanges are for the inside the quarter panel.
So I was able to put in a few hours over this rather warm weekend we've had here in LA, and I have the red forehead to prove it, ha ha (despite my attempt to have my car partly in the garage for some shade). I fitted and welded up the rear trunk/ body support to the rearmost section of the trunk floor, welded that in and rough fitted the trunk floor center section in.
If this were some concourse resto I'd have used a single piece floor, but these parts are cheaper in sections, and, the car is gutted and cut for mini tubs already so I'd be cutting some of a single piece back out which seems wasteful to me.