This was one of those weekends where I spent time in the garage, but I didn't feel like I got much accomplished. I'm still waiting for my door handle parts to finish rebuilding my door handles (I lost the originals, and have ordered replacements) Until then I can't install the door latches or windows.
so I thought I'd work on my gas tank. I had previously picked up a "Rick's" SS tank at Pomona, and I need to add an electric fuel pump for my fuel injected engine. (I prefer an in tank pump to allow the fuel to keep the pump cooler/ last longer) I had bought one of those "tanks, inc" fuel pump kits that come with an additional fuel tray. I was all set to install the kit when I realized I need to modify the tank. That will require another weekend or so to get that done.
I did install the window felt on the back windows as well as the last of the replacement rubber parts and I painted some bolts as well as cleaned up the door latches. Progress is progress...
Small update- I painted the engine block this weekend, and installed the rear windows. Weird thing about the rear window install- they are the same parts going into the same place, but yet they wouldn't roll up all the way. I've moved them back as far as I could and took the stoppers out to get them to work. At least they work, I suppose. I had to make a tool to get the metal bracket off the one window- the rollers were rusted shut. I needed to clean them to get them working again.
I also bought this old wagon at the last Pomona swap meet. I'm thinking some type of gasser theme for it. It'll be fun.
I picked up my engine this weekend from Superior. They built a 383 stroker out of my LS1. They also broke it in and made an initial run on the dyno with a basic tune. once the car is fully driving and has a few thousand miles on it then they will do a final tune. Now I just need to get the car together...
This weekend I installed the roof rail weatherstripping, those screws around the window frames to replace the broken trim attachment studs (the silver ones that are easy to see are the new ones, the originals are painted over and difficult to see in this pic), took the car off the body dolly onto some jack stands and installed the rear axle.
The body dolly isn't really suited for the weight of the entire car, so it had to go...
I had a little time this weekend to work on my car. Just a few little things to report. First off- I decided to experiment with that tinted paint to see how it would look darkening the taillight lens. I had an extra lens that became the sacrificial tester. I painted half on the outside, and the other half on the inside, and it's sitting next to a stock piece. I'm quite happy with the paint on the inside, so I'll end up doing that. I'll be using LED lights so heat won't be an issue.
I also spatter painted the trunk, and installed the trunk latch. All I had to do was shorten the rod that connected to the lock cylinder, and I was good to go (the result of recessing my tail panel required modification to the lock system)
I also cleaned and polished the roof rail weatherstripping pieces, as well as the interior trim pieces. I had built my roll cage so close to the body that I was not able to install the trim in the rear area- so I had to grind back a section for it to clear.
While working on my car I discovered a spider web in the interior- guess I'm not working on my car fast enough..