This weekend I'll sum up as a lot of lessons learned.
Lesson#1- metal still moves even after significant tack welding. Got my headers back from them being coated. and the driver side no longer fit. It fit beforehand. I thought I checked, thought I had pics, etc. I guess not. There are no other variables. It's either that, or the laws of physics are different in my garage. so I had to mod the header more and now I need to get it re coated. Money and time wasted
Lesson #2- Install the sway bar(s) before painting. I thought this would be a simple job I could quickly do later on. I was wrong. As seen in the pics this has turned into a bigger job. I also sought some help with bending my sway bar arms. I don't have the equipment for heating up these big blocks of metal. I built a template and we used this to follow for bending the first arm, then bent the second arm to match the first. The results are really good, too. Now I just need to clean them up, make my end links, paint and I'm g2g. I spent the rest of this weekend building the perches for the sway bar pillow blocks. Next will be making the end links.
I spent most of this weekend working on a friend's '66 El Camino, and in between I was able to put a little time in on my spoiler. I wasn't happy with how it was sitting- there was a lot of gap between it and the car. To fix it I could either lower it, or add to it. First I looked at reducing material on the vertical supports, but I didn't want to compromise the strength of them, as the amount needed to be removed would go past the top section and reduce the surface area of where the wing would rest upon it. So I added some material to the bottom of the wing. I used .120" styrene and heated it up to the contour of the wing. Then I both epoxied it and added some screws to it for a permanent connection. There is still a little gap which I want- and will add some foam to the bottom to reduce any issues of the wind vibrating the wing and it smacking the car (or when I close the trunk)
This was one of those weekends where I did many little projects. I dropped my headers off for ceramic coating, installed two grounds to the engine block (with the frame ties welded into the car body, there is little point to grounding the body to sub frame), cleaned up and painted the galvanized metal panels that run alongside the rocker panels (then remembered that, oh yeah, I should have test fit these first. oops...) mounted the fuse box on my trans tunnel (absolutely no room on the firewall). I did insulate the back side w/ header wrap so the fuse panel doesn't soak up the heat from the engine/ trans. I'll need to build a box now to help hide this. I also laid out my battery cables and started to mount those in place. The ground wire is just long enough. I don't think I'll be trimming that one at all. I drilled some holes and installed grommets anywhere they passed through metal, and I insulated the positive side with that plastic loom for extra protection. I'll get some heat insulation for the engine compartment to help fight against voltage drop.
This weekend was a bunch of little projects. I got the collector back on, as well as O2 bungs, and added fasteners to my trans tunnel for the center console and rubber shifter boot. I also attached a few more clamps for my fuel/ brake lines.
My wiring showed up so I can start to work on that, too. I need to get my headers coated now so I can get them installed and then start reinstalling the front end sheet metal.
After picking up some pre bent tubing sections I made a mess in my garage this weekend, I mean I did a lot of cutting, sanding/ grinding/ trimming to rebuild the driver side header to fit my car. Man, these things are a lot of work. Of course, I'm sure there are some tricks to doing this that I wish I knew about. Now I just need to put the collector back on, do some clean up work and send these out for coating.