I did more sanding today with those 3m bristle brushes that attach to my grinder. wow, they make easy work on the sheet metal, and without much heating, too. Good stuff. They do get chewed up on the edges, though.
I also spent some time trying to shrink the warpage out of my filled firewall. It was a wasted effort, I was just making things worse so I cut it out and made a new panel. I also filled in the old blower motor hole.
Got some time in this weekend- I stripped some of the paint off and then tore the car apart. I'm to a point now that either I can leave the car looking rough and drive it sooner, or spend more time/ money to do all the body work and paint it. I want to drive the car so I am opting for the former. To do this I plan to paint the car with a clear paint (KBS "diamond finish" over the bare metal and leave it looking raw for a bit. This way I can drive it sooner and work the bugs out of the car without ruining a nice paint job. (I learned this the hard way with my last car)
I still have a lot of minor repairs here and there (welds to clean up/ finish, etc). Then I'll paint the chassis and interior, assemble the car and then clear coat the exterior and start assembling.
As mentioned in my last post- I got another project car. This is a '55 Chevy 210. The idea with this is a rough n raw old school looking gasser. The inspiration is, of course, the 2LBT car. However, it won't be a clone. I have already located a '57 chevy truck front axle as well as a set of American Racing 200s rims. I'm going to do my best to resist working on this until I at least have my Firebird driving. What's convenient is this car already has a glass clip, doors and trunk, as well as a 9"
I'm still alive. It's been one busy weekend after another, and I got distracted. I bought another car- a '55 chevy. I plan to make a "2 lane black top" style gasser out of it. real rough and basic. The beauty is it came with all the same 'glass parts to make a 2lbt car, and a 9" rear. But first things first. I need to get my Firebird driveable (while I collect parts for the '55).
I spent today working on the rear bumper more- getting it to fit better. The first pic shows the large gap along the right side of the bumper . I t required cutting the bumper and shaving it down a bit, as well as revising three of the four bumper brackets (multiple times) I lost count how many times today alone the bumper went on, came off, went back on, etc..
It looks a bit better now. It's not perfectly straight, and it'll need some love by a bumper shop one day. But it's good enough for me at this moment.
I also welded up my widened rear bumper and am happy with the results. The passenger side of my second bumper was rusted through, so I ended up slicing a section and adding it to my original one. Not my first choice, as it's two welded strips and more opportunity for misalignment, but it was this, or chop out the corner and patch that. I may need to either adjust, or shim, my rear bumper bracket to get it to sit level, and then I can revise the side brackets to fit. Since I moved the bumper in closer they won't fit as is.