This weekend I worked on more panel alignment/ fitting. I lost count of how many times I put the fenders on, took the fenders off, made an adjustment here and there, then put the fenders on, then took them off....
I also did numerous trimming on the inner fenders, but not enough as I need to make more. I also trimmed off one of the brackets on the underside of the fender- this allowed me to move it back farther for a nicer fit. I still have to take them off again and trim on the fender to prevent the door from scraping it. I have the gaps pretty tight, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep this, as it looks much better than I remember it being before.
I also took the time to fill in some holes on the core support (it was like it was perforated) and I widened the area for the radiator opening.
The goal now is to get the sheet metal on and aligned, as I have a few more customizing ideas I want to do, but I'll need the panels on for measuring, etc.
If anyone has any tips/ tricks for panel alignment, I'm all ears! This took forever..
I got another day in this weekend- I worked on improving the fit of the fender/ fender extension and lower valence panel. There are a few "before" pics where you can see poor panel alignment. I used a combination of tweaking the shapes and adding some weld on the edges to reduce the nasty gaps. It's not perfect, but, it is better than before...
This post shows the left side. the next post will show the right.
I was also able to get the passenger side done. This side went much faster (maybe because I didn't have to sandblast off some rubberize undercoating and rust) but I still need to drill holes and align the panel to fit.