Here I recessed the firewall. I could only go so wide as if I go wider it'll interfere with the steering and brake/ clutch pedal, and dashboard. I don't want to change all that, so this is what I could do. I'll add the back wall in after the engine is located, and I'll need to raise the trans tunnel, too.
Adding pics from what I mentioned in my last post- I also cut the side windows from a sheet of polycarbonate and have basically built the window tracks for them. It's like a hemi-dart style and I'll use a seatbelt strap for opening the window. I still have to cut the firewall and do some welding so I won't install these until after that, then can keep this project moving forward.
Small updates. While waiting for the engine to be built I did pick up the trans and clutch parts, and I'm working on the interior a bit- painting the inside area bit better, and adding some foam to the inner panels and roof area. it's a light weight foam with aluminum on it, which I've used before on other cars before. It helps reduce the tinny sound from sheet metal and reduces the heat coming in. I also cut the side windows from a sheet of polycarbonate and have basically built the window tracks for them. It's like a hemi-dart style and I'll use a seatbelt strap for opening the window. I still have to cut the firewall and do some welding so I won't install these until after that, then can keep this project moving forward.
Long overdue for an update. Man, time flies by when one isn't working on their car. OK, so this weekend I mounted the driver side inner window frame, and have ordered some generic window felt that should fit a half inch aluminum u shaped channel. the idea is to make some simple lexan windows like were used in Hemi Darts. They have a strap that locates the window either up or down. If I use velcro I could get more adjustment. Anyways, this is a very low priority, but something that's brewing in the back of my head as I work on this. I also have my rear axle back and installed again, and today I worked on mocking up my steering column inside the car. I also installed the foot pedals- the idea is that my engine should soon be ready and I need to know where I can and cannot cut my firewall out. So by having these parts installed will tell me where to not cut.
Minor things this weekend, I chopped down the attachment tabs on the headlight buckets so the chrome trim bezels now fit without floating in front of the car, and I trimmed back the fiberglass flange on the window and mounted the pass door window trim frame. I should have taken more pics, because there was a little more to it than just screwing it in. I also modified some speed nuts so the screws have something to bite into and epoxied those in place.