I raise Maine Coon cats,so I'm not calling this a rat.These are mens cats.I bought this car in Manitoba/ a barn find/ and sent it home on the train to Ontario,Canada in '04. Didn't know how to weld, so went to a local criuse night to find a builder.Car had very little done in 2 1/2 years at this shop and I brought it home to finish and re-do most of the work that was done. Basically car was dismantled ,IFS installed.I had the frame and floors sandblasted and painted and I patched the floors and cowl myself at this point.Brought it home in July and took the body off again and had her together and running beginning of Nov..Cisco
I spent way too much time on Ebay shopping for deals.I decided on a frame off rebuild, new suspension, sbc etc.I used a TCI IFs, Chassis engineering rear kit.This was a running car when I got it, almost 30 years sitting in a work shop.SBC is used, just changed oil pump, RV cam ,intake and carb.I had the frame and floor inside and under sandblasted and painted.
Chrome is mostly Ebay, really good price.PS bracket is Allan Grove painted silver.A/C alternator brackets are from Southern Air , thought price was good,but had to make them fit and ding the short valve cover under the A/C to get it on.I was going to use a Sable rad fan,16'' 2 speed w circuit breakers, just couldn't get it in.Bought 14'' on Ebay.I switched to a short WP and used aluminum pulleys (was all chrome B4) and the thicker aluminum pulleys took up space,didn't save much.Gotta love Ebay,may take some work but deals out there,: Lokar emergencey cables $40,they'r $250 in a store.
I had to use cowl patches, replaced the whole trunk floor and filled a few holes in the floor.I brought the car home beginning of July after getting in a fight with shop over being slow and poor work.engine mounts had no pedistal and were thin metal.I bought a 120 volt mig with argon, 135 model, supposed to weld 1/4'' but I can't weld 1/8 with it.Rear suspension was on wrong and welded,had to take body off,drop the suspension to cut welds and drill holes.Fit motor mount from a kit and had a portable welder do the honours.Power steering, used Heitds steering valve and couldn't come up with a cheap hose kit so bought the Heitds hoses, made a nice set.Worst part was deciding on where to run PS hoses, ran them up and mounted the Heitds valve to side of dog house,used almost all the hose in kit.
wiring seemed to take forever, used a Ebay gearhead kit.I don't like the billet dash inserts, and was originally going to use stock gauges,but used Dolphin gauges and modifed stock instrument panel by making a filler plate,then had to fill the frame as instruments sat against the frame.I cut a frame to fit behind the dash and to hold the front on.Stripped dash,primed and then 1500 water sanded,a rattle can paint job on the dash,but couldn't get it smooth enough,will have to polish it later.I built an under dash panel with a panel for the instruments that looks like the dash and glove box.Then a thin consul to hold the stereo,may need to be redesigned.I made a column mount of 1/4 plate.I had bought floor mount but used a piece of exhaust pipe reducer instead,sectioned and halved it to fit column and hole in floor,used panel epoxy, looks factory,way cheaper $4.Coulmn didn't have shift indicator, ground back off a wrecker piece and epoxyed it.It's almost right on the mark too.I'm leaving the radio and ash tray dash plates stock and original.I got tan gauges to match them.
Seats are out of a 96 Cutlass Supreme which has 4 buckets, fit pretty good.I made a seat base for front buckets to fit factory seat holes.It raised seats to a better height,I made it with doors off, didn't have room for hand brake.When I put the doors back on I realized the doors are curved and car is wider, made another seat base, then couldn't get seat belts in as too wide, third times a charm but had to weld seat belts to seat frame as couldn't bolt them through floor.I spent a whole day pounding out a floor tranny cover out of 18g. I made the cone shape by making it a curve then hammered edges into a cone, no pic.I put sound deadener and foil insulation inside.I put 1156 LED bulbs in the headlights as turnsignals and separate turn signals also.The LED do show with headlights on.