I bought an engine block a week or so ago for my truck. Its a freshly machined small block 2 bolt main 400 bored .060 over. I got some big plans for this thing, Im sure it'll handle what I got in mind.
This new engine is gonna scream compared to that old 350 I had in it!
Well, there is one thing on the corvette that I never fixed and some thing happened that reminded me to fix it. A NEW HOOD PROP ROD!!!
Somehow, in someway, the original owner of the vette who was arrested for drugs broke the hood prop rod. Im not sure how he did it, but I can't reuse the original one. So I was using an old broom stick to hold the hood up.....until the broomstick broke that is.
Luckily, I wasn't under it when it fell, and nothing broke (except the stick). So I guess you could say it was a good warning of what could happen if I don't fix it. So The next thing I buy to put in this thing, will be to retrofit a new hood prop rod from a later model C4 Corvette.
The original owner did some wierd wiring with the stereo he put in. I found the original speaker wiring that went to the Bose system. Then I found the wires he put in to bypass the Bose amp for a new system. Well Im not sure what he spliced it into in the door panel, so I just ran some new wires directly to the Cd player.
While I was digging around in the door panel, I found a cd.....that wasn't mine. Somehow the drug addicted original owner of the Corvette lost a Whitesnake CD in the door panel. I don't know how it got there, but I got it out.
I ran the new speaker wire using a trick my dad taught me, by getting a peice of bailing wire and wrapping it around the end of the electrical wire I want to run. Since the Baleing wire doesn't isnt as flimsy, I can push it through parts of the car alot easier.
Well, I got some more work done on the box, I put several more layers of fiberglass on it, then sanded, then slapped some bondo on it to smooth it out even more, then sanded again. This is when I cut the top out for the subwoofer to fit.
I finallly got the woofer, only to find out my measurements were off, so the woofer doesn't fit to well into the ring. Not that big of a deal since I can make it work with some grinding with a dremel and a jigsaw.
I also finished putting in a new door lock on the driver's side, and since Im gonna put some new speakers in the doors, I went ahead and put some dynamat on there to keep vibrations down. A cool thing about this stuff, that when you put it on a door panel, it makes it shut more solid. Kinda like a new car door would shut kinda sound, instead of a louder sound that older cars would make when you shut the door.
hehe I didn't know what to type for a title, so anyway. Just a few more pics of my progress. I test fit it again to make sure it fit in the 'Vette like I wanted. And it fit perfectly. I recovered it with some more felt and let it soak up some resin to hold the shape. Once thats dry Im gonna put several layers of fiberglass cloth with some more resin to give it its strength.