I actually had to get some help this week. My steering shafts had to be turned down and as I had no access to a lathe of my own I had to get someone else to turn them down. I guess I'll allow that. Also this week I took the brake pedal and mount from the Rover SD1 donor car as well as the accellerator pedal and cable. I decided to mount the master cylinder on the firewall as I had an underfloor one in my other 34 and it was a pain to access the MC to check fluid. I used a 7" Gemini booster and will use a Holden dual Master Cylinder. I made a simple accellerator pedal mount and tried it out, I had to bend both pedals across to the left to allow clearance. Next are the seat and seat belt mounts
I hope to finish the fit up work in the next couple of weeks and then I will pull it down for chassis welding. Pictures to come soon.
Well this site has paid dividends already! I was reading c boys journal and got some good advice on hinge making which has been a bit of a pain on my project. I remade the boot lid hinges (I think you guys call them trunks) using the ideas in the journal. I extended the length of the hinge and formed two identical arcs in my vice in 2" X 3/8 flat; welding it on to the end. Hey presto the lid opened an additional 45 degrees, now I can stick my head in without hitting it. I will be taking some more photos soon and will post them when available.
After buying a pair of running boards, I made the rocker panels from two pieces of 1.2mm sheet on each side, then mig welded them together. I folded the edge with the twitching tool and made the bead, I formed the double curvature with inch by half by 1mm tubing by first hitting the tubing on a tyre on the wide side to make one curve and then cutting it on the short side then bending the cuts together and welding them this was welded on to the sheet. Nice and strong and I can use it to get in and not worry about treading on the delicate glass running boards. The next job was to make a firewall from 1.6mm sheet and then what I consider was the hardest job to make a cowl that looked right. I asked my mate for a loan of a stock cowl and he gave me one which could only be used as a template it was almost gone from rust, so I carefully pulled it to bits and after three tries I had what amounted to the bottom half of a 34 cowl... To make the top half I used my bead roller to get the bonnet insert and I made a basic slip roller from three steel fence poles the wind up mechanism from two office chairs and twelve bearings. After four tries this time I got it right - Ihad a Cowl !
I used the strengthening ribs from the bus roof as a former and trimmed and rewelded them to length; these were then welded to the wheel wells and a frame was constructed to secure the body parts (like steeling out an old body) from 20 x 1.6mm tubing as well a various other bits. I decided to make it easier to get in and out of by lengthening the doors 9inches so I started to make the doors. I used 1mm sheet for this as I don't have a wheeling machine I made a skeleton for the doors from 1.2mm sheet getting the edges folded over at the shop I bought the steel from I followed the contour of the cardboard template and after a little adjustment I had a door frame which when the skin was laid on it caused the steel to take a natural crown as the front of the door is straight.