Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Rob (chuck) Berry's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Rob (chuck) Berry's profile Entries: 41
Views: 14535
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (9): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

12-18-2004 07:53 AM From bus to roadster!
I started on this project in Queensland 2 years ago after leaving work as a technical teacher (mechanic school). I guess I really wanted to prove that I could do something diferent and still end up with a recognisable rod. I was told by so called experts that it could not be done so that made me more eager to try.. I have for a long time believed there are suitable panels out there that are VERY close to vintage lines and I decided to recreate a 34 roadster I once had. I started by measuring the real thing at a show and making cardboard templates of the areas I deemed critical then off I went to the junkyards to find a suitable donor vehicle. I found the right curves in a 1980s Toyota 12 passenger bus roof, cut it off and for $150 took it home. I then got a photo of Jamie Musselmans 34 roadster and traced the outlins onto a transparency and with an overhead projector line up the image on a wall I scaled the imagewith a 15 " wheel. I then made up a buck with Plywood and tubing using my previous measurements. To my amazement the panels fitted onto the buck and after a little trimming allowing 1/2" for folding over the edges I clamped them into place I made a bead roller from scrap steel and the plans from an old American Rodder magazine and made the panel below the boot I also folded up some 1mm CRMS sheet and made a panel for above the boot I then made a hardwood form and knocked out two lower corners. The next job was to tie all this together so I made a pair of wheelwells from 1.6mm using an old pair of glass guards as a guide I cut them out with 1/2" over then I cut a 1/2" square steel bar with two hacksaw blades and made a 'twitching tool' to fold the edge over I then used a long rectangular piece to form the sides of the well, next I placed the wells under the back section and cut out the curve to suit the wheel opening. See pic below

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]

Pages (9): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]