As mentioned before, the bucks had to be removable from the final 'glas part. Also, the speaker enclosures were not the same. The front speakers install from the front of the panel so the speaker boxes could be permanently attached to the back of the door panel. However the rear speakers mount from the rear the the speaker boxes must be removable for access to them. All of the bucks were covered in aluminum foil and given a coat of PartAll mold release wax. In addition, the rear speaker mounting boards were likewise protected. See photo 1 where the foiled and waxed rear speaker bucks are in position on the speaker panels ready for 'glassing.
Figure 2 shows a piece of fleece being stapled over the buck on the front door panel. It stretches and forms very easily so there are no puckers or folds. This was done for all four pieces. On the permanent front boxes I used 3/8" long staples but for the rear ones that had to be removed, I used 1/4" long ones that would pry out easier once the resin set. The front buck was inserted from the front of the door so would pull put easily from the front and not be captured by the hardened 'glas. The extra cloth was trimmed to the staples and the whole thing was soaked in resin. since these front boxes will stay permanently attached, the resin was glopped on the wood and cloth.
Once I had the top and bottom buck pieces and the measurement of how tall the buck should be I drilled 3/8" holes (photos 1 & 2) in the center of each piece on the drill press to make sure they would be straight. The bottom pieces were made form 3/4" thick plywood scraps and the magnet shape rounds from 1/4" plywood. Then using the speaker height measurements taken previously, I cut 3/8" dowels to length and glued the bucks together shown in photo 3. When the glue dried, these were plenty strong enough to 'glass.
Many of you know I love working in fiberglas and have several entries in hti journal about it. However I learned a neat new trick from Kriskustoms (see https://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52028&highlight=fleece) using fleece cloth to make complicated shaped 'glas parts easily. I decided to give it a try on the speaker enclosures for my '53 Chevy. I needed two 6" diameter round ones in the door panels and two 6" x 10" complicated shaped ones for the rear speakers.
To start I needed some fleece and a chance comment to my daughter resulted in her giving me a big fleece Barbie blanket that was headed to Good Will (photo 1)! Plenty of material for this project and several more later.
The first step was to design the bucks over which the 'glas would be formed. Contrary to the dash that Kriskustoms made, my buck had to be removable to allow room for the speakers. I started by determining how high the enclosure had to be to clear the speaker magnet (photo 2). Then I cut out the blanks on the band saw. One blank was about 1/2" bigger in diameter that the magnet (photo 3) and the other blank was slightly larger than the speaker front rim.
Here are a few shots of how to replace the window riser channel on a typical window. First, take out all the old glass and rubber from the channel. Clean it thoroughly and POR15 any rust you find there.
Photo 1 shows the raw rubber tape being installed in the channel. This is non-vulcanized rubber and sticks to the glass and the metal but still allows the parts to be separated if necessary. Don't add anything to glue or lube this joint. The rubber does it all. Also, there are a couple of thicknesses of rubber tape. Be sure to use the proper one. Your glass shop will do this job for free but I had to dig s couple of glass channels out of old doors so I did it myself. Ask them for some of the tape and they will give you enough of both thicknesses for free.
Photo 2 shows the channel being tapped onto the glass. The glass is supported on a piece of carpet and a rubber mallet is used. You don't heed to wallop this, it will go together with firm taps of the hammer.
Photo 3 shows the rubber being trimmed. That's it! Oh, and be sure to center the channel on the window glass so it doesn't hit the felt window channels in the door.
First, here are the rear and quarter fixed windows installed. As you can see I used the decorative chrome channel locking strips.
Next is a shot of the AD pickup window trim rings installed, They came from the factory as painted or polished stainless. The stainless ones are rare so I had my painted ones chromed. Of course it took two door frames cut and welded back together to get the rectangular ones for my king cab windows.
Finally is a shot of a wind-wing installed with fresh rubber seals and new glass. I toyed with the idea of eliminating the wind-wings but they add a little old time feel which is the theme of the truck so they stayed.