Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: [email protected]'s Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View willys36@aol.com's profile Entries: 207
Views: 351787
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (42): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

04-21-2009 10:18 PM Grandson's '59 Elky 5
We decided to replace rotten spots instead of buying available replacement panels. We not only learned how to do the deed, we saved nearly $1000 by DIY for all the quarter panels and floor boards. Harbor Freight metal stretcher & shrinker tools were invaluable here.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #172]

04-21-2009 10:14 PM Grandson's '59 Elky 4
Car has the usual jungle rot in the bottom edges of the rear quarters.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #171]

04-21-2009 09:34 PM Grandson's '59 Elky
Here are the new floors in the 'smuggler's compartment' under the pickup bed. We cut out the bulkhead between this and the passenger compartment so we can use the space. Was the back seat in the Brookwood station wagon floor panel they borrowed to make into the Elky.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #170]

04-21-2009 09:31 PM Grandson's '59 Elky 3
Here is the repaired side. Other two photos show the floorboards we made. Even beaded the front ones w/ my Harbor Freight beading tool kinda like the originals.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #169]

04-21-2009 09:28 PM Grandson's 59 Elky 2
Prior owner had welded in (badly) a replacement quarter panel for some other Elky. Lap welds and the one up the side was warped beyond belief and had 1/2" thick bondo patches. I pounded the metal into shape so it will take only a skim bondo coat.

Rear of the patch was welded in so the tail light portion was pulled forward 1/2". Side trim was too long! Had to cut it, bend it and weld in a patch strip.

Final picture shows how I had to cut the fin seam all the way back and reform it. He had hist stuck in the patch panel and pulled the rop fin panel down and welded it. That fin sagged at least 3/4". All that is in pretty good shape.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #168]

Pages (42): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.