Finally started Troy's '59 Elky. I bought it for his 13th birthday and we finally got started in January. Pretty rough but a good training ground fro him. He will learn body work, painting, chassis work, wiring, auto tranny building (junk yard 2004R), engine building (305 SBC), the works. Goal is on the road by 16 1/2.
Here are pictures of him and his dad working on stripping it and Troy welding in one of the 6 floor board panels we had to replace. These late 50-early60 Chevies ALWAYS have rusted out floors.
I needed a way to move the '59 Elky body around the garage. We are doing the body work and rust repairs (these late 50s, early 60s Chevies made LOTS of rust!) on the car hoist but need to be able to use the hoist for other stuff too.
Here are some photos of the rig I made out of common 2x4s and $5 Harbor Freight casters. Total cost was about $50. Advantage is that when the car is done I can knock the thing down and get rid of it as opposed to a welded steel one that would be permanent. Quite a bit cheaper too. Nailed together w/ my framing nail gun. We spent maybe an hour total including head scratching at the beginning.
Dimensions are 12" high, 8' long, 44" wide. This should fit most cars. The kick up in the rear is 13" to fit the Elky but could be made any height to fit any car. be sure to get hefty casters or they will collapse. Don't ask me how I know. These are rated @ 450# ea as I recall, w/ cast iron wheels and solid rubber tires.
I bought a pair of new/old Inglewood 10" pie-crust recap slicks for my WIllys. Will only run them to rod runs and shows and use my Tork-Thrust mounted radials for daily driving. Regardless, they have to have a couple of grooves or they will be cop magnets ( my son just graduated from the California Highway Patrol academy so I have a built in cop watching what I do!).
I shopped around for someone to cut the grooves for me but found nothing. Finally I broke down and bought one of the DIY tire grooving tools you have seen advertised in JC Whitney and Popular Mechanics ads since time began. Photo 1 shows it.
Photo 2 shows the business end - a copper slug that is heated by a electrical resistance heater, like a soldering iron on steroids, and a bent razor blade cutter. The tool came with half a dozen blades that mount easily using the set screws in the photo.
Shot 3 shows work in progress. The silly thing really works! Each groove was ~5/16" deep and only took about 3min each. Was totally done well within half an hour. Not much to explain on using it - pretty self evident and runs itself.