Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Rip VW's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Rip VW's profile Entries: 30
Views: 5288
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (6): 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

06-06-2016 01:05 PM Project Sleepy T 27 T coupe on 32 style rails
I am back on the right track I think. I drifted in the journal. Lets see where are we ? It is June and I haven't worked a bit on the Sleepy T in the last month!

I had to shift my focus from the sleepy T to my other T. The other T it is a "New production car for 1924" actually manufactured in July of 1923 and titled as a 1923 but built as a 1924 model.

It is a almost completely OEM correct but has a few things that is not year correct for the car. Interior is... A bad imitation of mohair, and the paint is non standard. It is fire engine red. The previous owner was going to make it a fire captains car. I got it instead. It ran great when I bought it and I only drove the car twice before it got moved to a rear part of the shop.

Fast forward to this year it is time for the T to mosey on to a new home. I need the money to finish the 27 Coupe. I have putting on shop time on getting this T ready to sell. I have had to redo and clean the fuel system from the tank to the carburetor. Next was electrical and I should have that wrapped soon.

The worst part of the electrical was I had to R&R the coil set. A model T uses 4 vibrator coils and a roller timer to fire them. During testing of the ignition system I noted the coils cutting out and being intermittent and dirt and dust all over them.

I spent the last week pulling the coil box (it is under the dash on a 24 coupe) and learning a crash course on Model T coils. I went through the coils, installed new caps cleaned the vibrator contacts and bench tested on DC to initially set them up. I then took the coils to a secret underground clandestine lab where they actually resurrected these things from the box out. The director of the lab took my coils over to a very strange looking piece of apparatus that looked like it was salvaged from a Jules Verne submarine. I was told in confidence that Henry Ford hisself used this very contraption to adjust the coils on old 999. The final result a Pass grade on my rebuild and only a minor tune needed on the tester. I had to clean up the contacts in the main coil box so the individual coils had good connection!

I need to install and hook up the coil box, Clean and re grease the timer, Clean the plugs, and change the oil and I will have this thing back up among the the living. Anyone looking for a good running 23 1/2 Ford T Coupe.?

As of Wednesday I have been banned from the shop for 7 days. Doctors orders, I am going in Wednesday to get this damn cadi rack out of the eye and I cant play in a dusty enviroment for 7 days.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

06-06-2016 12:05 PM Project Sleepy T 27 T coupe on 32 style rails
OK, so I gotta admit that I got a bit confused here. I started this build here in Rip VW's Journal. Somewhere along the line I got confused and updated this thread in another room. I wanted to keep the story in order and right here. So I will try to put a link to my April update.

At the end of the update hopefully I can link back here.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/April-update-project-sleepy-t-429338.html

You have to copy paste the link. The editor is not my friend today.

Thank you for your patience.

[Entry #14]

12-30-2015 07:50 PM December 2015 Roundup
last of the photos

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

12-30-2015 07:49 PM December 2015 Roundup
More photos