I needed a donor vehicle for my proposed "Deora" replica, and since the original was made from a Dodge A100 pickup, that's what I set my sights on.
Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it), A100 pickups are starting to become very popular, and their price reflects that. Other A100 models, in particular, Vans, are substantially less.
I found a 1969 A108 Camper for $500.00, with a 318 V-8, automatic, and air conditioning so that's where my project begins!
Getting the van on the trailer was exciting! No brakes and a flat tire made getting it up the ramp a challenge. So I towed the "Mystery Van" to the top of a hill, connected the trailer back up to the pickup, and backed the trailer up the hill to the front of the van. Then I let gravity do it's business for me. I just bumped it into park every couple of feet so it wouldn't take off. After chaining it down, it was off to the 'hood to show off my prize to the envious stares of the neighbours! :-0
Getting it off the trailer was just about as much fun.
So it begins...
First on the list: "de-camperizing the van".
It took only a week of evenings to gut the pig. Surprisingly, it was in very good condition. It should be...it was parked over twenty years ago!
I had to remove almost every add-on piece of the shell to permit the cutting phase, which was rapidly advancing.
As an A108, the wheelbase is 18 inches too long for a Deora replica, so in addition to decreasing it's verticality, it will need to be cut in half!