I found a good transmission of Craigs List. It's a Turbo 350 with only 70,000 miles on it. According to the seller, he got it from an old 80's pickup with a 350 combo. It should work nicely in the Nova.
I also took a picture of the fuel cell. It's sitting on a custom fabricated frame made out of 1in square stock, with a few 1in 90* pieces added for stability. The filter is a fram hi-performance on, and the pump (not shown) is a generic replica of the Holley Brand Blue pumps.
Not really much of an update here 'cause I have no pics! But for those following (the 2 people) the project, it's still going.
Interior is basically complete, aside from the wiring. I ordered a complete wiring harness on eBay, and that should arrive next week. The trunk is almost complete. One of my major purchases this winter was a 16 gal fuel cell. I have that mounted in the trunk.
The machine shop I was planning on taking the block to for some work just happened to close. The really crappy thing about it is that one of my dads friends knew the management, which meant a deal for me. Now they are closed, I wont get that deal any more.
I'm looking at transmissions at the moment. Found a TH350 on Craig's list. I'm planning on picking it up this weekend. I plan on keeping the stock converter, but upgrading to a B&M Shift Kit with Shifter (around $180 for both at Summit).
I also need to buy the hardware for the front end. Which should dent the pocket considerably. It's amazing how much repro bezels cost for Nova's.
I'll keep the journal updated. I plan to have this bad boy running by June.
When it came time to install the deck, I stumbled across a problem. The deck was coming in contact with the heater casing. The deck was sticking out about half an inch. I'll most likely be going heatless, so the case will have to go.
It was my planning from almost the beginning to have a stereo hidden from thieves. I live in a not so great area, so this was a must.
After considering all of the possibilities, I decided to fabricate something inside the glovebox to hold the deck. When parked, the glovebox door will be bolted shut, making it a real pain in the *** for thieves. Inside the glovebox will be two more screws holding the deck tightly in place, adding to the frustration even more. Alternatively, the custom encasement will be held down by 5 more bolts. So the thieves will need tools to at least attempt to steal my deck.